Thyroid Disorders Community
Shingles and Hashimotos Thyroid disease

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Shingles and Hashimotos Thyroid disease

My question is:
Has anyone noticed a connection between  Zoster or recurrent Zoster and Hashimotos thryoiditis?

I have Hashimotos and have had disseminated Zoster ( Shingles )  twice and localized  Zoster twice.  I and am otherwise healthy.  
No HIV, Cancer , chemotherapy etc.
Have had work ups for that.  Needless to say this is frustrating and painful.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions

Winston2008

Not aware of any link between hypothyroidism and shingles.  Are you aware there is a vaccine for shingles.  If you are interested, here is a link.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/shingles/vac-faqs.htm
I have never read about a connection. I had shingles on my side before I was DX'd with Hoshimoto's. I never had other related stuff to shingles. It was gross looking and painfull. 15 years later, I still have a scar above my hip from it.
Hi Winston

I haven't read of a connection between Hashi's and recurrent shingles. However, both my sister and I have Hashi's and recurrent shingles.

Hashi's weakens our immune system, and shingles comes on if the immune system is weak.  I know a few people that have had shingles, but never a problem with their thyroid.  So just having a weak immune system might be a reason for getting shingles.
I also have Hashimotos and reaccuring Shingles.  No other health problems except for fatigue.  I have to agree with BB8911.  Weak immune system.  
Hi Winston, sorry to hear about your re-current shingles. The only thing i can help you on is, Shingles . I have graves disease with re-current shingles, ive been having them on and off now for about 12 years, and when i feel them coming on i take Aciclovir 800 mg 5times a day for 5 days, if you get pain before the blisters come it would be worth getting the Aciclovir then the blisters wouldnt be as sore and it reduces the severity of the virus(varicella zoster virus),

I think its a immune system problem, were do your shingles come may i ask?
And do they always come back to the same place ? or do they comeback in a different spot?

I hope ive been some help, but like i say if you get the Aciclovir before the virus takes true hold, before the blisters, it will reduce the severity, and length of this nasty painfull virus, dont forget if you do get the aciclovir drink plenty of water with them.

Hope this helps thyroidian
Between the times your rash comes back...what is it like?? Do you still see a bit of the rash just not as red? Is it always in the same spot?
If so then it sounds like I have the exact same thing. I am diagnosed as having hyper before and at the moment hypothyroid. I have had a shingles rash that began in Feb of this year. To this day I still have some twinges of pain (that's all I ever really got) but the section of rash is still visible just not red...it's more white patches that become red on and off) It's on my abdomen and not so fun since it is summer weather. I've never had something that I've worried so much about and be so self conscious about.
I was diagnosed with Shingles last summer, not through any testing. The doc looked at the rash on my scalp and the swollen node beneath it and said I had shingles. I have had a recurrent scalp rash every month and Acyclovir never worked. Now I use a special shampoo and the rash has gone. Now I get a rash on the left side of my waist up to my armpit. I am wondering if I've ever had shingles or maybe just a cause of the thyroid hormones out of wack. I should have my Hashi's results this Monday. Right now, my TSH is  a little high, and I have several Hashi symptoms, but that's all we know so far.

Tamra
Yes, I do know now that I have Hashi's (Anti-TPO 221) and ,no, I don't think I've ever had Shingles, especially since Acyclovir did not work. Docs switched me to two other types of zoster meds and nothing worked. I took them as recommended, at the first sign of an outbreak. I believe this recurring, burning rash on my head is hives from Hashi. Prescription strength Nizoral (like Selsun Blue but stronger) works for my scalp.

:) Tamra
I also have Hash's and have had Shingles in 2004 on the top of my right shoulder.  I remember is was very painful.  I also have a spot on my scalp behind my right ear, not painful, itches some???
I would say it is connected, i haven't had Shingles but have had Bells Palsy, it they believe is from the chicken pox virus laying dormant in the 7th cranial nerve and just needed a trigger...I have been dx Hashi, Dawn
I know this is an old thread, but I've been searching for the answer to this question!  After a strange health crisis, I've recently been diagnosed with hypothyroidism.  I did not have a typical Herpes Zoster outbreak...I had some strange skin pain that felt like a sunburn that moved down my back and into some limbs; there was no visible rash, and in my limbs it was intermittent.  A few days later I developed an internal shaky feeling that would last the whole day. These symptoms lasted about 3.5 weeks.  MRIs came back normal (to rule out MS as well as some other autoimmune disorders), but bloodwork showed slightly high TSH levels (6.77).  My doctor put me on Levo-T but I am concerned that perhaps my TSH level was high due to whatever (virus??) was causing my strange symptoms.  I don't want to be taking medication if I don't have to.  This was an interesting thread, and I just wanted to share my story-- maybe somebody else will relate to it someday.  Thanks!
Bumping this up for others to post on last posting in this thread....
90 percent of hypothyroidism in developed countries is due to Hashimoto's disease, yet many doctors still treat it as a low thyroid disorder. Hashi is an auto-immune disease and needs to be treated as such.

Wow, crazy how much I've learned since that post last August. The below things helped with my hives. Yes, the Hashi can get Shingles, as our immunities are weak, but don't be sold on the Shingles diagnosis right away. My hives came back each month for over a year, on both sides of my body, arms, legs, armpit and scalp, not typical for Shingles.

Some things to consider in treating the hives:

1. Are both your FT3 and FT4 levels high enough? Many times our endos will not treat us with T3 meds, why I don't know. The hives on my legs and arms disappeared after adding Cytomel to my T4 med.

2. Gluten can also trigger this. New research links gluten to Hashimoto's disease as well as leaky gut, which triggers the disease in the first place.

3. Other food or environmental intolerance. My armpit hives disappeared after I applied Virgin Coconut oil to them and after I quit strawberries. Corn, dairy, yeast and soy can also adversely impact the Hashi patient.

4. Thyroid hormone isn't the only hormone out of balance. Usually when one hormone is out of wack, other hormones try to compensate and we get the lovely side effects of unbalanced hormones.

I have found in my journey that topical solutions were not always working. The problem began internally and needed to be repaired internally.

Since quitting gluten my thyroid swelling also stopped and after getting my adrenal glands tested and treated (low adrenals is a problem with many of us) I'm feeling better than I've felt in years.

:) Tamra
Thank you for continuing on in the thread with your history. Here it is 2012 and I'm experiencing so much of the same. Your info has prompted me to be more aggressive with my internist. Sounds like docs never put their heads together like this or time could be saved in getting folks relief.
I came down with Shingles at age 32 and then a year later was diagnosed with   hypothyroidism. I never felt the same after I had shingles.
I think my low immune system caused shingles which then led to hypothyroidism or maybe the reverse.

Around age 31,I went into doctor stating I was exhausted and had blood work done, but test always came back normal. It wasn't until a nodule was found and then another and another...and my thyroid became enlarged that I was told I do have a thyroid problem.

I find it strange that I have a low immune system, but I never get the flu or a cold.