Thyroid Disorders Community
Should I get an Mri - pituitary scan or Ct Scan of pituitary

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I RECENTLY HAD A TSH DONE.  THE READING WAS  9.98.  THEN A FREE T-4 WAS ORDERED, RESULTS  WERE .63 AND THYROPEROXIDASE ANTIBODY RESULTS WERE  GREATER THAN 900, 25-HYDROXY D TOTAL WAS 23, PARATHYROID HORMONE WAS 32.  I AM NOT HAVING ANY SYMPTOMS OF HYPOTHYROIDISM AND AM SHOCKED BY THE RESULTS.  I READ THAT THE PITUITARY GLAND CAN AFFECT THE TSH.  MY FATHER DIED OF A PITUITARY BRAIN TUMOR.  WOULDN'T IT BE WISE TO HAVE THE PITUITARY GLAND CHECKED OUT?  WHICH TEST IS BEST IN THIS CASE...AN MRI PITUITARY WITH CONTRAST OR A CT PITUITARY?  ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS OR COMMENTS?       WOULD YOU LEAVE THIS TO A FAMILY DOCTOR OR SEE AN ENDOCRONOLOGIST?  THANK YOU.
I think with the history in your family, you are best to see an endocrinologist. I can not tell you which test is better, that is really for you to ask them about.
  Yes the pituitary does affect the TSH as that is what sets it off in the first place.
You are lucky you don't have symptoms of hypo thyroidism. Many at around 2.0 or greater get very bad, yet we have had people on the forum with TSH over 500.00 and feel fine too! Go figure! Everyone is different!
  Good luck.

I have a pituitary microadenoma.

Usually a pituitary MRI (with contrast) would be used to check pituitary only if there are symptoms and test results pointing towards a pituitary problem.  Just doing an MRI as a screening if there are no indications of problem may not routinely be done.

Initial screening for pituitary would be to check prolactin levels.  Because pituitary is close to the optic nerves any growth there may cause visual symptoms / changes in visual field.  They test for that also with visual field testing.

A high TSH would indicate that the part of the pituitary controlling thyroid is working ok.  Anyway you should check with an endo to see if anything further should be check.

THANK YOU BOTH FOR YOUR COMMENTS AND ADVICE.  I HAD A MRI BRAIN SCAN WITH ATTENTION TO THE PITUITARY WITH AND WITHOUT CONTRAST.  THE RESULTS WERE NORMAL.  THANK GOODNESS.  MY DOCTOR WANTS ME TO GET A FREE T4 AND A VITAMIN D LEVEL IN TWO MONTHS.  THEN WE WILL DISCUSS THE SITUATION AGAIN.   I AM NOT ON SYNTHROID YET.    I STILL DO NOT HAVE ANY SYMPTOMS WHICH PUZZLES ME.  ANY THOUGHTS ON THAT?  I AM GRATEFUL TO THIS SITE FOR ALL THE INFORMATION AND INSIGHT IT GIVES.   GOD BLESS YOU BOTH AND THANKS AGAIN FOR ANSWERING MY INITIAL POST.