Thyroid Disorders Community
Should I have the surgery?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Should I have the surgery?

I hope that someone can help me because my random panic/crying at night from worrying is not helping my situation.  Two nodules were found on my thyroid in 2008, one on the right and one on the left. I had them both watched (sonogram) every 6 months and were biopsied three times. The biopsy report was that they were "atypical" . The one on my right side is smaller but i can see it when i swallow. The one on the left is larger measuring .9cm in 2008 and 2.1cm as of 2012. I am very skeptical about jumping into surgery due to the fact that there are new procedures, medications and medical discoveries as medicine advances.

One of the many reasons i dont want the surgery is the medication after. I am going to be put on synthroid (oh btw my surgery is schedled for next month after pushing it back twice because of these issues and others similar) and i have been reading how armour is better but not encouraged because its not a money maker for pharm companys.

And although this next issue is a cosmetic one, i am a young woman in my mid 20's and gaining weight and losing the ability to control that aspect of my life is a MAJOR concern. (not that the others are not but u kno what i mean)

Can someone please give me some advice or maybe some of your stories? I hear only 2-5% of these nodules r malignant but the larger one has "solid components"

So confused :( please help, i dont want to make an irreversible mistake.
Are you on any thyroid medication at this time? If so What?  The nodules may cause issues and you may have to take some sort of medication anyway, there is no way to tell, only you know if you are symptomatic at this time, you stated anxiety and crying/depression, those are thyroid symptoms also. Have you had any Antibody tests at all?, if so please post results with ranges provided , and include Free T3 and Free T4 with ranges.
We can give you a better opinion if we know how you stand with your thyroid. Best Wishes  FTB4
i have a history of anxiety and depression but i lost a lot of weight over the last year (voluntary, diet + exercise) and it has gotten remarkably better. i dont have my free t3 level but my free t4 is 1.00 (.9-1.8)  .. my tsh is 1.20 (.55-4.78)... im not on any medication but the only reason for the surgery is the growth of the nodules , having more than doubled in size in 4 years. i dont have any discomfort or symptoms but i did noticr after my biopsies that my throat felt like it had more room almost, i dont know how to describe it. if my nodules are causing compression or making my throat "crowded" so to speak i havent notices / dont think i would recognize the difference..