Thyroid Disorders Community
Should I see an Endocrinologist?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Should I see an Endocrinologist?

I've had hypothyroid symptoms for several years, namely mild depression, cloudy thoughts and concentration, fatigue, extreme sluggish, and extreme intolerance to cold. Unfortunately, for years, rather than running blood tests to see if there were other issues, doctors have been quick to put me on antidepressants....I've been medicated throughout my twenties and none of these medications have helped. After losing faith in psychiatry, I decided to go the natural route with vitamins and to try to get more exercise. But it is quite hard with my lack of motivation, fatigue and sluggishness. Almost three months ago, I saw my primary care ( a nurse practitioner), and she ran a general blood test that showed that, although my other results were normal, my thyroid level was a little slow. A few weeks ago she order the specific thyroid test, and this test also showed that my thyroid was slow. My latest result is 4.97 on a .40-4.50 range. However, my T3 and T4 levels are normal. I requested a referral to see an endocrinologist, but my primary care said I didn't need to see one, because my T3 and T4 levels are normal. She also said that my thyroid is so slightly slow, that it wouldn't cause my symptoms. I'm not sure I trust her knowledge of specialized medicine. I would like the opinion of a medical doctor. Even though blood tests have shown that my thyroid is slow, should I not be concerned, and should I not see an Endocrinologist about my thyroid? Also, could my slow thyroid be the cause of my symptoms? I heard that even a borderline slow thyroid can cause these symptoms. Thank you for any help you have to offer.
First, I'm not a doctor, so take what I say with a grain of salt.  It is certainly possible to have elevated TSH while T3 and T4 levels are normal - I think this is maybe even the usual case when the TSH elevation is slight.  I don't know that you need to see an endocrinologist at this point, but you should probably have your blood tested again in a few weeks to see if anything has changed (i.e., if your TSH is higher and therefore more clearly hypothyroid).

Take care of yourself and hang in there.