Should I start methimazole now or wait until my uptake scan
Newly diagnosed with hyperthyroidism yesterday and which according to my doctor is mild. She prescribed 5mg once a day of methimazole and told me to get an thyroid uptake and scan. However she also said that I have to be off the meds 5 full days before the test.

I'm hoping to get the test next week sometime (still waiting on nuclear medicine to call me back) and haven't started the meds yet.

My heartbeat is crazy rapid and annoying and sometimes slightly uncomfortable but I don't want to start the meds if I just have to stop them again. Any suggestions? What should I do?
If you are able to get an appointment for your tests next week, it seems kind of inefficient to start meds now.  

Ask your doctor about a beta blocker, which would help control the heart symptoms.  A beta blocker could help you to feel better until you've had your tests and can start methimazole.