Thyroid Disorders Community
Should I take Iodine pills?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Should I take Iodine pills?

I have Toxic Multinodular Goiter with several nodules and low TSH, Hyperthyroidism.  Similar to a lot of what I see in this forum.

My question is, can I take Iodine supplements to help or in my case would that actually hurt ?

Thanks,

McMillan
Tags: iodine
Hyper means that your gland produces more hormon than needed ,and thus there is no need to add iodine ,iodine added in case of hypothyroidism cased by iodine defficency !
Are you having hyper symptoms?  If so, iodine supplements might make it worse.
I had a single toxic nodule with symptoms.  I had to be very careful what I ate.  No seafood, nothing with sea salt or iodized salt, no red food coloring.  Yes, there is iodine in Red 40.
I think what happens is - if your Free T3 is already high and you consume iodine,  the iodine binds with Free T4.  This converts it to Free T3.  You already have too much and now there is even more for your body to deal with.  I got the shakeys, hot flashes, low grade fever, couldn't breathe, etc.
Both T3 and T4 contain iodine.  In fact the "3" and "4" indicate the number of molecules of iodine each contains.  T4 is converted to T3 when a molecule of iodine is stripped off the T4 by an enzyme called 5' deiodinaze (pronounced five prime d-i-o-din-aze).  Iodine deficiency can be a cause of hypo since the thyroid must have iodine to produce T3 and T4.  However, no further iodine is required in the conversion of T4 to T3.  In fact, that extra molecule is eliminated.
skeeterknitwit, Thanks for your response. I have been feeling like crap for days, I am certain that I must have eaten something with a lot of Iodine in it perhaps. I have very hyper at this point and have 6 Nodules. 3 on each side. I have posted my Sonogram report on my profile.

goolarra, Thanks you so much for all your response to my questions. I understand what is going on a bit better now.  Would be nice If I could find an actual diet for for toxic multinoduilar goiter.  My Endo is surprisingly useless in this area other than to say don't eat seafood. I later found that all t eh raw cauliflower and broccoli I was eating a ton of in my quest to loose weight was only making things worse!

Thanks again for always being so helpful. This is  a great community!

McMillan
actually if you are Hyper then eating cauliflower and broccoli can help !!!

Here is some interesting information that I found regarding my question of whether I should take Iodine or not.  I thought I would share it here.  Anyone can Google to find more information.

-McMillan

November, 2004, Issue

"Fatigue — An underactive thyroid typically causes fatigue. Iodine supplementation can quickly activate the thyroid and relieve fatigue. Dr Abraham reports iodine deficiency may harm pituitary-adrenal function in rodents. Your adrenal is essential for energy and stamina."
...
"Thyroid disease — When there’s not enough iodine to bind with cell membranes, it allows enzymes called peroxidases (which can damage those membranes) to wreak havoc and cause autoimmune disease, such as thyroiditis (Hashimoto’s or Grave’s)."
...
"While iodine will help the thyroid increase the production of hormone where necessary, it also inhibits over-release from the gland by giving thyroid enzymes what they want. These iodine-seeking enzymes that attack thyroid membranes can be normalized when they get the iodine they need. This old information is terrific news for the many people (usually women) who have been told

to have their thyroid removed to end hyperthyroidism. These draconian measures ensure the patient will have to rely on prescriptive thyroid hormone for the rest of their life. But iodine can completely solve the problem."

"Poor digestion — many organs need iodine, but can’t absorb it until the blood measurements reach very high levels. The stomach and salivary glands are two such organs, but they can’t uptake iodine in any significant amounts until the blood level reaches

100 times what the thyroid needs. Most people do not produce enough stomach acid as they grow older. I firmly believe low gastric acidity can be caused by iodine deficiency, as iodine promotes stomach acidity!"
...
"Breast, ovarian, and skin cysts — In addition to fixing almost all cases of breast cysts, iodine also has a remarkable healing effect on ovarian cysts, and even on skin cysts. (For the latter, I recommend rubbing in iodine right over the cyst.)"
...
"Dementia and glaucoma — Iodine is found in large amounts in the brain (including the parts of the brain associated with Parkinson’s disease) and the ciliary body of the eye, a possible factor in glaucoma."

Dr. Robert Jay Rowen