Thyroid Disorders Community
Skin discoloration

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Skin discoloration

Just wondering if anyone else has had problems with hyperpigmentation of the skin on the face (Melasma)?  I have had problems with dark pigmented areas on my face for 10+ years, despite wearing sunscreen religously.  However, when researching the hyperpigmentation, I found that a number of people with this problem also have thyroid disorders.

I'd love to get some feedback to give to my Endocrinologist.

Thanks.
Oh my gosh....finally someone else has the problem too!!  A little history, I was recently diagnosed with papillary thyroid cancer.  I met with the surgeon yesterday, and he's going to remove the entire thyroid on 8/6.  About 2 years ago, I started getting these dark patches on my upper lip.  They're pretty big and on both sides of my upper lip - looking somewhat like I have a mustache!!  It's awful, and I'm very self conscious of it.  I've tried bleaching creams, and am now using something by Clinique called Advanced Stop Signs.  It's for lines and dark spots, but have been using it for about a month with no results.  Being in the sun makes it worse, even though I use SPF50 sunscreen.  I asked my primary doc, endo and the surgeon about them, and none of them think it has anything to do with my thyroid condition.  I decided yesterday that I'm going to see a dermatologist about them, because I can't stand it anymore.  I try to cover them with makeup, but first off I hate wearing all that **** on my face, and secondly, it doesn't do a very good job covering.

Please let me know what you find out, because I really think it has something to do with my thyroid - but maybe it was just timing.  

Lori
Hello there,
I have the same silly dark areas appearing symmetrically all over my face. When I went to see my dermatologist he said it is caused by a hormone imbalance. He also said that even the medical world is baffled by exactly how it is caused. In my doctor's research he found that it was not an estrogen or progesterone problem, but something to do with the pituitary gland (the pea in the center of the brain). I believe that it is highly probable that it is linked to the thyroid as it is connected to pituitary - do a search on "Pituitary gland and hormones" and see what you come up with. I wish I knew a cure- because man having a crazy discolored face is no fun.
Tan

My Sis In Law also developed dark patches on either side of her lips about 6 months ago. She's tried all kinds of creams and there is no improvement. Did either one of you find out for sure what it is and how to cure it? Are you sure its related to Thyroid or Pituitary gland hormonal imbalance???
Do let me know
Thanks,
Shri
I have melasma too....the lovely brown mustache that just won't go away!!

I was prescribed Triluma cream by my dermatologist.  It has helped somewhat but I have to be diligent with the sunscreen.  

Melasma does occur commonly with thyroid issues but it is also linked to birth control pills and pregnancy (it is also called the mask of pregnancy).  I thought mine was caused by my birth control pills last year but then 6 months after stopping them I found out I had Hashimoto's so I don't know if it was the birth control pills or my thyroid.   I have read that hyperpigmentation can be cause by increased ACTH which is the pituitary hormone that stimulates your adrenal glands which make cortisol.  

So I guess it can be thyroid or pituitary related but also estrogen and all the other lovely female hormones that go wacky with the thyroid.  I highly recommend seeing a dermatologist if it bothers you...mine is way more helpful than my endo!!  Shouldn't surprise me though!!  

hope this helps!! ;-)
Mine has actually gotten better since I had my thyroid removed, although it's not completely gone.  

I think it's related, but all the health care professionals that I've asked (the dermatologist included) don't think it is.  I just thought it was strange that they literally faded to nearly nothing about 4 weeks after my thyroid was removed.  Coincidence?  Maybe.  I know it wasn't birth control pills, because I haven't been on them in 15 years or so.  I also have Hashimotos.

My dermatologist also prescribed Triluma, and I'll start using it again when the sun comes out again (along with sunscreen, of course!).  Barleypop ~ did you notice that it makes your skin really dry?  Nothing like a dry, brown upper lip, huh?!?!

Shri ~ I agree with barley.....it could be a number of different things.  She really needs to see a dermatologist to see what's going on and what she can do to help it.

Lori
I know a woman, who is caucasian, that has very dark patches on her face and arms.  She also has light patches that are an albino like tone.  It seems to have worsened over the years.  I never knew what it was but after she knew about my problems she shared that it had to do with her longtime thyroid condition.  She said it's all over her body.

It was scary to learn that.  But I have to say this same woman, and it’s hard to write this, has shared she doesn’t always take her med.  Or, she takes it whenever, with whatever.  In fact, she doesn't understand why I'm so strict about taking my med, which I am.  She thinks that strictness, which she knows is recommened by my dr, is because I no longer have a thyroid.
The white patches sound like Vitiligo which is an another autoimmune disease.
Got to love a peeling upper lip...like the brown color wasn't bad enough!!  I have learned my lesson, SUNSCREEN on my face!!!  My spot get more noticeable with sun.
Yep, mine get worse in the summertime too.  I've noticed within the last few months that I am getting some spots on across the bridge of my nose, and I also have some right above my eyebrow on one side.  Strange.  And ugly!!  I use concealer, then a powder makeup to try to cover them.

You said a mouthful.  I wish I had been better about sunscreen when I was younger.  I tan really well, so I never really bothered.  NOT smart!

Lori
I'm positive that it is related to thyroid. I have the albino white spots on my arms. I had a perfect complexion for 36 years of my life. over the last 4 years since I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, I went from 1 small dark spot on my face, to my entire face bein covered by brown patches. I look like a sunworshiper. Im not, in fact have only had a tan 2 times in my life. Today a lady walked into my work place and her face was identical symptoms to mine. Upon havin a short convo with her, I found that she 2 had the same thyroid condition as me. Coincidence, I think not.
Mine has since disappeared since I finished Menopause 3 years ago.
I read somewhere that this is caused by the adrenal gland.
I am a 38 y/o female who was  just diagnosed with 'Hashimotos Thyroiditis'.  For the past 8 years I began having skin discoloration in my neck and face area.  It all started with a small brown spot on the side of my neck.  It then began to spread all over my neck, my check bone area and up to my jaw area and upper lip.  I have gone to 5 dermatologist and they could not figure out what it was.  They just scratch their heads and give me prescriptions to a bunch of expensive bleaching creams- nothing worked, it only dried my skin! The most recent visit to a dermatologist was in August 2009-  He prescribed me a cream and a prescription for Doxycycline, an antibiotic.  I was so frustrated when I left the clinic that I never filled the prescription.  Besides I had a hunch all along that this was due to my thyroid- and after reading all of the posting above I am 100% convinced that it is my thyroid.  It all makes perfect sense! I have an appointment with my Endo in November I am going to bring it to her attention.  My last doctor didn't care to listen & told me that it was not related....I just hope my Endo listens and see the connection.  

I hope this posting can help others with similar problems.

shabinsky
i am 17 years old and was recently diagnosed with hashimoto's. I am on medication, but I don't think it is the correct dosage seeing how I too have skin discoloration. mine isn't on my face its on my inner thighs. which doesn't seem too bad until you hear that I am a competitive dancer and I will probably pursue a career in dance. The costumes I am required to wear are rather revealing and show these dark discolorations which is very embarrassing. It kills me to think that I may have to give up my dancing because of this issue so If anyone has found something that has helped please share.
I have exactly same problem: hypothyroid and growing dark spots on my face.
my moustache is growing by time. recently I also have dark spots on my cheeks. I tried painful and expensive laser treatment but it only helped temporarily. scary to think that medicine world didn't discover the link yet. Lemon juice, peeling and bleaching creams dont make a big difference either.
I am also hypothyroid-and the creams that were given did not help. Did you find anything that helped?