Thyroid Disorders Community
Slimquick - Is it safe?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Slimquick - Is it safe?

I recently had a total thyroidectomy and am now taking .112mg of  Synthroid.  I'm starting to gain weight and would like to get back on track.  Is it safe to take slim quick or other diet pills with my Synthroid?
Personally, I wouldn't do anything like that.
Do you mean slimfast shake?
I'd be very cautious with any diet pills.  I have read that they are dangerous with thyroid meds as are certain decongestants. Try increasing your activity and cut back on carbs or calories while you are getting your meds regulated.  I know that isn't as easy as it sounds, but you don't want a health problem from a diet pill.

I had a TT over 2 years ago and in the long run it has not affected my weight negatively.  I was very scared at first with out a thyroid that I'd gain huge amounts of weight.  Generally that doesn't seem to happen if normal healthy lifesyle is continued. Once yor synthroid is up to speed you'll probably do just fine.
Emmy
Well said.  Thanks for adding that input.
I wouldnt' think it would be safe with thyroid meds.  Besides you'll almost definitely gain it back because whatever you do to lose it, you'll have to keep doing it to keep it off.  Try weight watchers.  Happens to work for me.

Kateee
Thanks for the feedback.  I seem to be stable on my meds as I now hit the exact middle on TSH, free T3 and free T4.  I guess I've just read one too many blogs and am freeking out that I'm going to gain weight.  Back to the gym I go and no carbs for me. :(  

Maybe there is a pill for my boyfriend who is definately going to get a grumpy me while I diet. Ha!