So My Vitamin D is a little low, what does this mean?
Thanks to a lot of you here in this forum who encouraged me to get my vitamin level d's tested, I asked and was finally given a blood test for this.  

My vitamin d level was 22.  How low is this and could it be causing a lot of my pain or is this not low enough to be causing all my symptoms and pain... I am hoping that this could be my long awaited answer, but research is not clear, and it is not super super low, so I am unsure what to think of this, my doc is going to test me for ms as well because of my blurred vision and headaches, but Im wondering if my vit. d levels could cause these symptoms as well? I am just posting here because I have seen a lot of you out there who know a ton about this.  Your help would be greatly appreciated.
The range on my labs were 32-100, You need to take at least 1500-2000 units per day, you can get D3 in 2000 unit tablets, but you should take Magnesium Glycinate 200-400 mg per day, but four hours after or prior to your Thyroid meds. The Magnesium and the VitD should help with the muscle aches and joint pain. Thyroid issues cause poor absorption of Vitamin D, Don't take Magnesium Oxide, it does nothing for you. I think it is used in or as a laxative. I know the AMA just raised the Daily requirement for D to the 1200 to1500 and 2000 a day for over 60. Md's also have Vit D shots available to bring it up if you are low and do not absorb it right. These two (Advised by members here) Supplements really helped me with the muscle and joint pain when I first became a member. Good Luck FTB4
Thank you, but are my levels low enough to cause the joint and muscle pain? Also I get way more than 2000 iu already a day yet my number is that low?
Hi!
It may have been coincidence, but when I finally got my vitamin D levels over 50, many of my symptoms of palpitations, joint and muscle pain, brain fog, low blood sugar bobbles, and fatigue almost went completely away. I had to take 10,000 units a day of D3 for about 4 months to get there though. I am also taking multi vitamins, cod liver oil caps, and a thyroid support supplement and have a wheat-free diet as wheat (specifically) makes my joints swell and hurt and causes lower leg edema. I also get continuing leg and foot spasms unless I supplement 99 mg potassium each day.
This treatment regimen is what works for me, but I do think low Vitamin D aggravates the hypothyroid side. Something to think about, -the lower your vitamin D, the less calcium gets stored in your bones. At age 25 this isn't a huge worry, but by the time you hit your mid-forties and the calcium storage slows, then you begin to have tons of other issues like weak bones that can break easily and issues with vascular and renal health. Also, vitamin D is huge for keeping your immune system strong. Well, I've rattled on long enough. I hope this info helps! ~M
If you are supplementing that much "D" and your levels are still low, then that would indicate an absorption problem, you should consult with your MD about Vit. D injections, this way you by-pass the absorption process. Also consider the Magnesium, I was informed by my MD that Magnesium (Glycinate) helps bone, muscle and aides in absorption. Good Luck FTB4
You can take 5000 to 10000 IUI of D3/day, if this is what it takes to get your numbers where they should be.

I take 5000 iui a day of D3 and my numbers are only mid-range.    Numbers should be mid to upper 1/2 of the reference range for Vitamin D test.

Just retest after say a month of the supplement to see where your numbers are and whether the dose if perfect or needs to be increased or decreased.

My sister sees an integrative health Dr.  He told her that anyone with hypothyroid should be taking at least 5000 IUI of D3/day.  I would say it's probably not a one size fits all, but given that your D3 is low, an increase in supplement dosing is warragned.

Vitamin D3 and Vitamin K2 act synergistically in bone health. SO that may be an idea to look into too!
My vitamin D level is 11.3 is that really bad...and what side effect will I have since my vitamin D is lie. What should I do?
That level is very low.  Many people with thyroid dysfunction find that D has to be well up into the reference range.  Vitamin D deficiency can have many of the same symptoms as hypothyroidism.  You should ask your doctor what he thinks is the best supplement for you to take.  If possible, you should also get out in the sun for 20 minutes every day.  The sun converts cholesterol into vitamin D.  Twenty minutes with just face and forearms exposed will help tremendously, but you should still ask your doctor about oral supplements.

Since you were found to be deficient in D, you might also consider having B-12 and iron/ferritin tested.  Deficiencies of those two can have some of the same symptoms as hypo as well, and all three are necessary to metabolize thyroid meds properly.
I have a vit d level of 13 how long do you reckon it will take me to get up and running again
That's very individual.  How much are you supplementing?