Solid Thyroid Nodule
Dr. Lupo;
This is my third try posting! My 27 years old daughter had an MRI for unrelated issues and they found a thyroid nodule 12 by 10 mm. According to US nodule is solid, microcalcifications and hypovascularity. She will be having a FNA in a few days. If this is cancer, is there any possibility that the FNA procedure will spread the cancer cells outside the nodule? The doctor is not overlie concerned...
Thanks in advance for your answer.
What I've read I think that's a rare complication of FNA biopsy's. I suspect mostly a problem when dealing with aggressive cancers.  Thyroid cancer isn't an aggressive type of cancer.

I think the doctor isn't concerned because most likely it isn't cancer.  And most thyroid cancer is curable. The two common types, probably 96% of all thyroid cancers have a cure rate of nearly 100%.  

Pretty standard treatment for thyroid cancer is to remove the thyroid then treat with a dose of radioactive iodine to kill stragglers. Most thyroid cancer takes up iodine, so radioactive iodine is pretty effective.

Good luck.
Thanks for your answer. My only concern are the microcalcifications which from what I have read are with more probabilities cancerous. Will keep everyone posted. This site is helping a lot.
What I read when they found my cyst hints that researchers spent a lot of time trying to come up with some way of diagnosing thyroid cancer from CT scans and MRI's features and basically they gave up.  Thus they settled on an FNA as the least invasive way to check.