Thyroid Disorders Community
Some help please!!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Some help please!!!!

My previous PCP found a goiter on my thyroid earlier in the year. It turned out that it wasn't cancerous and nothing else was said about it. Since then I have become extremely tired to the point that many days it's hard to get out of bed. I lost my health insurance in April, I did have a TSH profile done and my results were TSH, 3rd generation 0.66 T4, FREE 1.0 and T3 UPTAKE 28. Does anyone know what this means? I went to my local health department and no one would give me a REAL explanation of what these results mean. Thanks in advance.
Tags: help please
The reference ranges for my tests are:
TSH, 3rd generation > or = 20 years 0.40-4.50
T4, FREE 0.8-1.8
T3 UPTAKE 22-35%

I have no idea what all this means. Any help that anyone can provide will greatly appreciated.
T3 uptake is a worthless test and should have been a Free T3 with the Free T4. Both of these are the actual active thyroid hormone in the body.
From the looks of these results you appear to be perfectly normal.
I would suggest that they run the antibody testing for Hashimoto's autoimmune thyroid disease, and possibly test for Epstein-Bar Virus and Mononeucleosis.
It also wouldn't hurt to have vitamin/mineral testing done with Vit D3, B12, Iron, Calcium, to make sure it isn't a deficiency causing your fatigue.
Thanks for responding. The results do appear to be in normal range, but I certainly don't feel normal. Can your test results come back normal and you be diagnosed with Hashimoto's autoimmune thyroid disease? I am definitely going to have more testing done. Unfortunately I will have to wait until I have the money to do so.

Thanks again,

Shaunareca S. Fambro
Yes you can test positive for Hashimoto's long before your thyroid labs will show any change. Thus, you can start to have thyroid symptoms long before the labs will show as well. So I would definately ask for both Hashi tests to be run.  :)
I plan to go get more testing done in the next month. I will definitely ask to be tested for Hashimoto's disease. Thanks for your advice and insight :)