Thyroid Disorders Community
Sore Toes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Sore Toes

I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism.  I'm taking T-3.  I was also diagnosed with very low levels of Vitamin D so I'm taking large doses of that as well. I experiensed muscle pain and fatigue but also the tops of my toes were so sore.  They looked red and were tender to the touch.  After taking T-3 for 3 weeks and Vitamin D, Selenium and Iodine, also zinc, the pain is gone from my toes.  Also the muscle pain has subsided.  I just want to know what was causing my toes to be so sore?  I'm so happy that pain went away as well as the inflamation (inflammation).  I just wonder which issue is related to that symptom.  I honestly wanted to stick a pin in my toes to relieve the pressure, that's how it felt.  The big toe was not effected, nor the little toe, but the ones in between.  It wasn't every toe, it was the 2 toes after the big toe.  

Can you explain?
Usually T3 is not the only thing taken for thyroid disease. What is the brand name of meds you are taking?

Inflammation is a symptom - but usually the body had mild swelling at certain times of the month. - not just one area.

My meds come from a compounding pharmacy, there is no brand name.  My doctor prescribed supplements as well as the T-3.  I take iodine, zinc, selenium and vitamin D.  One of those items helped my toes.  It's just odd, wondered if anyone else had the same experience. I noticed the soreness on my toes more in the winter, maybe it has someting to do with the cold.   I did have a lot of body aches that are definitely starting to improve.  

My doctor said my T-3 level was low and that my T-4 level was good.  He said he may have to add T-4 at some point.  I go back for more bloodwork after being on the meds 3 months.

Thank you for your reply.

That is not correct and I have never heard of this where only a T3 is Rx. If at all this would be something like a Cytomel. I do not find any reputatable site or link to indicate this being a proper thyroid therapy. To much iodine will bottom out your gland - zinc may be your help for the toes - it helps with nerves.

CAn you call your office and get the actual blood panel numbers and post them - I just don't have anything more to offer until you post them.
I will call to get a copy.  You are making me doubt my therapy.  My doctor is big on iodine deficiency.  I'll post when I get them.