Thyroid Disorders Community
Steri-Tape not falling off

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Steri-Tape not falling off

My TT was 04/18 and the steri-tape is still very well plastered to my incision...18 days later. My surgeon said it would fall off in 4-10 days. I saw my endo on Friday and asked if she'd take it off and she said it wasn't hurting anything.  But it is, my ego!  I want this ugly thing off... Anyone take it off on their own?

I also want to know what you guys do for scar reduction - I've heard vitamin E oil works well, also heard about massage, to break up adhesions. When can I start the massage? I don't want to do it too soon and rip open!
Give it time.  My 1 week post op with my surgeon he tore it off my neck.  hahaha

Cheers,
Scott
My ENT took my steri strips off with special glue...Didn't feel a thing...Use Mederma for the scar.
*Make sure you either wear gloves, wash your hands really well (over 20 seconds of scrubbing) or use a alcohol rub!!!  Do all you can to minimise infection.  

To minimise the risk of tearing open the incision remove your steri strips like this - start by slowing removing each end of the strip that is fartherest from the incision until close to the middle, then do the other side. Then take each loose flap on each side and gently remove the section over the insicion - this way you don't have to touch the incision itself and there is less pulling on the incision itself.

If it is dry and stuck medhelpjunkie's suggestion of soaking the strips first with hot water is a good one.

It's not a bad idea to take your strips off now as it is almost 3 weeks!  Leaving it longer could actually increase the risk of infection as dried blood and debris can act as a resevoir / food for nasty bugs to grow.   If there is still a bit of dried blood around the incision gently soak that off too (no scrubbing!) - you'll need a few clean face towels.  Some bits took a bit longer on me - just like a scab but they will come away with time.  Try not to use the same bit of the towel on your incison twice, to minimise spreading infection.

My scar has become a bit hypertropic (has become thickened and raised  and is still red 5 months on - different to kelloid) so I am using a silicone gel sheet for scar reduction.  They are medically proven to assist scar reduction (over a couple of months) BUT you can't use them until the incision is completely healed over.  In the early stages I used VIt E oil.

Best wishes
I was getting sick of it also so I soaked it alot in hot water and gently kept lifting the curled up ends.  after a couple of days (3 I would say) it came off.  
so I had it on a total of 3 weeks when I finally got it off.  My sugeon recommended Vit # oil and to massage it in for 5 to 10 minutes a day.  I bought Vit e and Mederma and have been using both.  Alot of my friends say it has faded quite a bit.  
The 1/2 of mine that wasn't interupted by the infection (stitch abcesses and boil like eruption) is almost skin color .. if only the other half looked like that I'd be scar not noticed at this point and I'm only 3 mos post op!!!!!

Vit E oil and Mederma stung the incision even though all healed.   However both are great scar-busters!!!!

C~

My surgeon directed me to take mine off after 10 days, and like you, I couldn't wait to take it off.

There was some gentle pulling involved, but I took my time and eventually got it off.  I was worried about pulling too hard, but had no problems.  The whole incision looked instantly better once the steri strips were gone.

Good luck with your decision!
I took mine off after a week.....my incision healed just fine.  I didnt like the looks of mine either!!!

Mine came off with some gentle persuasion in about 2 wks.  I've been using Mederma on my scar with no problems for about four months now and you can barely see my scar.  I have to point it out to people for them to notice now.
Had my TT on Tuesday and took mine off all on my own yesterday! Dr. didn't tell me too, I was just curious to see under the tape!