Thyroid Disorders Community
Stopped Synthroid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Stopped Synthroid

I find it really interesting that most members here push synthroid and then tell other souls who want to go off it not to. 8 weeks ago I went to a endo, he did some test and said my thyroid was under active, my TSH was 3.87 my T3 and T4 and antibodies were perfect. I was hesitant to go on it, I called up my general dr and she said "absoultely not, you are well within the range and intact 4 years ago you were in the same range. I told this to the endo dr who yelled at me for not listening to a specialist and so I took the 50mcg of synthroid to see if it would make a difference. I felt okay for about 3 weeks then it all went down hill. I was so tired could not even get out of bed, I gained weight 10 pounds and could not even get out of bed. I got a headache and have this hump like thing on the back of neck and my shoulders feel like they are soar and enlarged. When I went to the endo again, 8 weeks later, he said your TSH has come down to 2.87 and your numbers are great.

I told him I feel horriable and he increased my dose to 88mcg, which I took for three days and stopped cause I felt like a zombie and shakey (shaky).  Today I saw a top endo in NY, rated the top ten, and he told me that I should stop synthorid and that I was well within the normal range and that if I was truly hypo my numbers would have come down significantelly since if you are hypo taking sythorid would shut your thyroid down. So I am stopping, the new endo is now testing my adenerals and cortisol which the dr never did. This new dr is willing to call me with results and wants to get to the bottom of my issues. Let me ask you guys who started taking synthroid and had a TSH below 5 did you endo exhaust all other things it could be before putting you on this. I am glad I was only on this pill for 8 weeks and maybe can get off it withoutmajor harm. Please seek multipe opionions, some people have  low thyroid levels naturally and they were born that way. Also ask your dr to test for cushings which mask similar symptoms.
I guess you lost me somewhere along the way as your post sounds a bit like an unnecessary rebuke.  There is very little pushing of anything beyond "take an active role in your medical partnership with your doctor".  I read here that most question tests and results and I believe members of this group actively work towards resolving their medical conundrum.  Kudos to you for doing the same!
I have a very enlarged buffalo hump due to insulin resistance. My insulin is normal (and it can be with this condition) but i have many obvious insulin resistance symptoms.  I have extensively ruled out Cushing's disease just to be sure. Two medical reasons why fat will be deposited on the back of the neck - insulin (insulin resistance to diabetes) and elevated cortisol (stress hormone).

I think a lot of your comments were addressed on another thread, on which you posted, however, I'll address them here, too.

First off, we don't "push synthroid"; if a person needs thyroid replacement, by all means, they should have it and people who are truly hypo and NEED to take the medication can't stop just because they don't want to take a daily pill or they will get horribly ill.

Secondly, not all top endos are good thyroid doctors.  There are many doctors who completely discount symptoms and look only at lab results.  The majority think that as long as labs are "in range", they are perfect. Not so; some people need them higher in the ranges, some do well with them lower.

You were on synthroid and your numbers were "perfect".  Did neither you nor the endo take into consideration that your numbers were perfect BECAUSE of the synthroid?  What were they prior to the synthroid?

It's not unusual for symptoms to worsen, or new symptoms to show up when a medication/dosage is changed.  It takes a while for the body to adjust.

If you have copies of your labs, you're welcome to post them, along with reference ranges and members will be happy to give an opinion on your testing/treatment.
Before starting synthroid my TSH was 3.57, my T4 was 1.0 and My T3 was normal. That is what I mean by normal labs. I did have slightly elevated blood sugar, but not very high. For the person who said it may be insulin did you have very high blood sugar?