Thyroid Disorders Community
Suggestions for Thyroid Function Tests Results

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Dear Doctor,

I'm suffering from stomach issues for quite along time (Age - 24) and recently i had weight loss with normal food intake, Recently my family doctor suggested me for a Thyroid Function Test and Report says - Euthyroid. Please find my report below -

Thyroid Function Test (Method : C.L.I.A)

T - 3 (C.L.I.A)  = 0.93 ng/ml                range - 0.75-2.1 ng/ml
T - 4 (C.L.I.A) = 10.20 microgm/dl     range - 4.7 - 11.1 microgms/dl
T.S.H (C.L.I.A) = 1.75 microIU/ml       range - 0.2 - 5.0 microIU/ml
IMPRESSION

I feel a bit tired these days and could not able to gain proper weight. Are these symptoms?!!

Looking for your valuable comments.
First off, we are not doctors, but fellow patients.  We have no medical training whatsoever.

Your T3 and T4 tests are total T3 and total T4.  These tests are not as revealing as FREE T3 and FREE T4.  Next time you have thyroid tests, you should request the FREE tests.

Your T4 is high in the range.  It's at 85% of range, which is high of the 50% guideline and could indicate hyperthyroidism.  On the other hand, T3 is quite low.  It's only 13% of range with the guideline here being 50+%.  Most of us would feel hypo with that result.  TSH looks good.

So, we have a bit of a contradiction here with your FT4 high and FT3 low.  

Are you tired despite getting a good night's sleep, or you tired due to insomnia?  Weight loss or inability to gain weight is a hyper symptom.  Do you have any other symptoms?  
Hi larra,

Thank you for your comment. Sure next time i will request the FREE tests. I was not even aware of what these tests stands for!

I never felt hypo before or as of now . Is it too bad to have this kind of result??  if bad, How much?.. ( scale from 1 - 10 ).  ( My Age - 24)

Feel tired because of insomnia most of the times, wont get proper good night's sleep.
Apart from these sometimes i do feel a bit difficulties in concentrating now a days.

Can symptoms be controlled? How?
Your results are not terrible.  The main problem I see in them is the contradiction between your high T4 and your low T3.  High T4 indicates hyper, and low T3 indicates hypo.  When T4 is high, T3 should be as well.  It's probably an early indication that something is going on with your thyroid.

Fatigue due to insomnia and inability to gain weight or weight loss are both hypER symptoms.  Hashi's (Hashimoto's thyroiditis) is an autoimmune disease that is ultimately hypo.  However, in the early stages, it can be hyper or swing from hypo to hyper.  Graves' disease is autoimmune hyper.  There's a good possibility that you are in the early stages of one of those.

You should be tested for antibodies.  TPOab (thyroid peroxidase antibody) and TGab (thyroglobulin antibody) are the two antibodies associated with Hashi's, and TSI (thyroid stimulating immunoglobulin) is the antibody associated with Graves'.  You should request those tests.  

Symptoms can be controlled with medication.  If you are hyper, there are ATMs (anti-thyroid meds) that will block the production of excess thyroid hormone.  If you are hypo, or become hypo, replacement hormones would be indicated.