Thyroid Disorders Community
Suppressing TSH

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Suppressing TSH

I have been doing a lot of research online, and I wanted to know what anyone thought about suppressing the TSH if you had hypothyroidism.  Do you think it is beneficial?  Do you think it reduces your symptoms?  
Depending what level you consider a suppressed level.

In my experience, when my TSH is out of Labs hyper range,  I get a new set of symptoms/side effects.  When my FT-4 is out of Labs hyper range, I get different set of symptoms/side effects .  The same for when my TSH goes out of Labs hypo range.  
In my case, it doesn't reduce symptoms, but rather adds more.

Well, based on what I have been reading, suppressed would been in the lower reference range like 0.6-1.0 maybe (depending on the person).  
Well, if you are taking Synthroid or something like that to replace the hormones your thyroid is not producing, that will lower your TSH to around 1.0 or 2.0.

That will give you the TSH BALANCE you need, and also the correct amount of hormones, which is what your TSH is trying to do.

So, yah, that would be good. That is the goal when treating thyroid disease.
I am on Synthroid (1.5 yrs), and I had posted something earlier today regarding the fact that I am still feeling intolerant to cold, and have high cholesterol.  My TSH was 1.6.  I am 25 yo, and feel that I do not truly have hypercholesterolemia, rather it is probably attributed to the thyroid, as well as the sensitivity to cold.  

(On a side note, in 2000 I was diagnosed with Hashimotos, then the MD thought it would go back to normal, so I was taken off meds.  For 5 years I thought I was hypo, and had TSH/T4 tests done and they were 'normal'.  Finally antibody tests confirmed I had a problem.  I wonder if this 5 year span did some damage to my thyroid or body.)
The whole debate (and proper dosage) centers around what is "normal" for your body.

Unfortunately, nobody who has thyroid problems has a baseline from years back, so it is a big guessing game. The "normal" spread is large and half a point can make a big difference.

Finding the right dosage of meds can take a lot of trial and error, the symptoms do not go away for months even after you find that sweet spot, and antibodies attacking your thyroid means your thyroid will slowly erode and dosage changes will need to be made periodically.
Those levels are not what is considered suppressed levels.

I believe the proper word is optimal.  A serum TSH level between 0.5 and 2.0 mIU/L is generally considered the optimal (most favorable degree) therapeutic target for the L-T4 replacement dose for primary hypothyroidism.
Whether the target TSH level should be in the lower half of the reference range is controversial because there are no data demonstrating improved clinical outcomes with this strategy.
The majority (95%) of healthy euthyroid subjects have a serum TSH concentration below 2.5 mIU/L.

Thyroid antibodies  not provide an indication of whether the person has normal or abnormal thyroid function.  Presence of  antibodies is not enough for a diagnosis of Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, since people in the population have these antibodies.
Antibodies are also present in  of people with other thyroid diseases, other autoimmune disorders such as Sjögren syndrome, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, and pernicious anemia are sometimes positive for TPOAb.

Hope this makes sense, its late and I tired.