Surgery or ??
My recent Nuc. Med uptake scan showed a large autonomous hyperfunctioning nodule in the lower half of the right lobe supressing the rest of the gland AND a large hypofunctioning nodule occupying most of the left lobe. (already Bx. colloidal )  My thyroid functions are and always have been normal... I am trying to decide the best course of action...the left lobe is very large and is protruding out from my neck while the right is fine...I am thinking surgery to remove at least part of the left lobe (and nodule) but leaving the right lobe and its nodule alone....is there any other course of treatment? I am afraid Thyroid suppressant meds would not help to shrink the left and surgery worries me due to possible vocal cord problems...opinions? Other courses of treatment?
I had one lobe removed due to three large nodules and symptoms of hoarseness and swallowing difficulties.  The surgery was easy, I felt fine after the nausea passed.  I did not have much pain, and the surgery cured my hoarseness and swallowing issues.  My surgeon was great, no damage to my vocal nerves, which is good because I am a singer and a voice teacher, so I really needed to fix the hoarseness problem.  Then the  pathology report came back, I have cancer in the thyroid tissue, so the other half is coming out.  My report?  I was glad to have the half removed.  It cured the symptoms I had and if it were not for the cancer, I would be done.  At least now I know.  I suggest that you have the lobectomy if the one side is bothering you, at least you will know if there is anything to worry about, and then you can deal with the other half later.  You will probably still have function of the thyroid, I did.  The nodules may shrink, but they will not go away, you are only delaying the inevitable, the nodules will eventually have to come out.  If you do choose surgery-and I stress this if you care about your voice-GET THE BEST SURGEON, one who does at least 50 thyroid surgeries a year.  This is a delicate operation, the better the surgeon, the better your outcome in regards to your voice.  Good luck.
Thank you so much for your info and advice...I have decided to do at least a partial lower lobectomy on the left for the hypofunctioning nodule...will leave the hyper one alone for now....good luck with your diagnosis, wish you the best!