Surgery scheduled
I have been reading your posts with great interest as I will have a right thyroid lobectomy on July 26th. Any suggestions on prep for surgery or things you know now that you wished you knew prior to surgery? Things you wish you had at home, had bought or done before surgery? I am divorced, 41. I have someone that will drive me home and is willing to stay with me. Did you need someone at home post op and of so, for how long and why? Was it just easier or necessary for them to be there? Did you experience voice fatigue and for how long? I am a teacher at a college and my classes start one month post op. Thanks in advance from someone who will "join" the group on 7/26!
As I understand, a lobectomy isn't as drastic as a Total Thyroidectomy. some people do not need hormone therapy afterward, whereas some do. I had a Total Thyroidectomy and was well prepared (for the surgery, that is...the aftermath of the surgery, another story). You shall ask your doc about calcium levels. When having a Total Thyroidectomy, the calcium level will drop due to the operation. I was sent home with calcium supplements and my levels dropped two days after surgery and scared the heck out of me. I was very sore in the neck area, as well as stiff and found the best position to be layed on my side with pillows underneath my boby. I was up and about on about the 4th day, still stiff and with a sore throat especially when i talked alot (which i was told not to do). Everyone will eact differently to the surgery. I stayed in the hospital the hospital the night of the surgery and went home the next morning (not sure about your case). One month after surgery, you should be okay as long as your thyroid hormone level is adequate enough.