Thyroid Disorders Community
Surgery?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Surgery?

I am a 40 year old female and was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in Oct 2006.  I have felt great on Synthroid until November 07 when I started to have some pain in my neck area.  It took several months for my doctors and me to finally narrow it down (anxiety?! stress?!) ... I finally went to an endo.! The pain is non-stop pressure in my lower neck/throat area and is much worse on the right side.  It does not go away except when I am sleeping.  My endo said the right lobe is  and it is Thyroiditis.  (My lab numbers are TSH of 2.2 and a free T4 of 1.3 on thyroid hormone of 0.088 mg ).  He also said he does not recommend surgery but would like me to just try to live with "conservative measures of occasional doses of antiinflamatory medication" which are not working!  On my last visit, he mentioned again that while surgery of the right lobe is an option, he does not want to do that, and there is something else we could look into called Iodine Ablation ... if my thyroid is even taking in any iodine.  He went on to say that the pain with this procedure would get a lot worse before it got better and that it would/could last 3 months or so.  Here's my question/problem:  this pain is so bothersome, it has affected every aspect of my life as a mother and a wife and I would like it to be GONE.  What is the best course of action for me if the Iodine Ablation is an option?  Thanks for your time...
What kind of antiinflammatory drugs were you using?
If nodule is present in the right lobe, it could be reduced in size by ethanol injection
The anitiinflammatory drugs my endo. recommended were over the counter Tylenol or Ibuprophen.  There is no nodule present according to the ultrasound.

thanks ...
Sorry for the typo above ... the right lobe is much LARGER ... but no nodules ... also, 12 X the normal amount of antibodies present than should be ...

Thanks ...
Ask the doctor about the prescription strength anti-inflammatory drugs.