Thyroid Disorders Community
Switching from Levoxyl to Synthroid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Switching from Levoxyl to Synthroid

Okay, after all of my issues with my teeth hurting, dry mouth, TSH not budging, my doc called me today and suggested I switch from Levoxyl to Synthroid.  What kind of side effects am I looking at?  The dosage is the same.  I've always taken Levoxyl, for 14 years. Now, after the thyroidectomy I'm just having minor issues like no saliva!  Doc doesn't think it's related to the meds but he's willing to switch me to see if it makes a difference. I want to make sure if I switch I'm not opening up another can of worms!
I am not an expert but I just switched from Levothyroxin (levothyroxine) to Synthroid and I feel great.  So much better than on the levothyroxin (levothyroxine).  I am not nervous in the morning and just over all feel better.   I do have a dry mouth at night but I am taking an antidepressant that probably is causing that.   Do you take any other type of medicine like an antidepressant or something else that could cause dry mouth.    You will get the answer.  Linda
I think Synthroid is great.  I was on levo too and felt very foggy and drugged.
I noticed from your profile that you had RAI.  I found this following bit about the more rare side effects of RAI and dry mouth an answers.com:

"Side effects of treatment with sodium iodide I 131 are rare and temporary. However, they may include:

loss of taste
dry mouth (xerostomia)
stomach irritation
nausea and vomiting
tenderness in the salivary glands or neck

Xerostomia, also known as dry mouth, is marked by a significant reduction in the secretion of saliva. Signs and symptoms of xerostomia include:

dryness of the mouth
cracked lips, cuts, or cracks at the corners of the mouth
taste changes
a burning sensation of the tongue
changes in the surface of the tongue
difficulty wearing dental appliances (like dentures)
difficulty swallowing fluids accompanied by an increase in thirst Xerostomia makes the mouth less able to neutralize acid, clean the teeth and gums, and protect itself from infection. This can lead to the development of gum disease and cavities."

It looks like it will resolve itself over time....
Cindi
I was on Synthroid for most of my life... then a pharmacy thought it was ok to fill it with a "generic"  cough *Levothyroxin (levothyroxine)* cough

It was like I was taking a placebo...... thyroid storm 101 kicked in....

figured it out, was put on synthroid and the symptoms had gone away in less than a month.
Levoxyl is a brand name, like Synthroid.  Levothyroxine is the generic form of both.

So the question is whether to switch from one brand name to another.  I'm told the fillers are a little different in each and for this reason some do better on one or the other.

I went in the opposite direction, from Synthroid to Levoxyl, and had more success.  If something down the road changes and I start to not do well, I'm willing to change back.

Bottom line - doing whatever works is what's important.  Good luck.
Yeah, I know that Thypatient.....  but that is what the pharmacy said.  which is what made it so funny or not, that they switched brands on me and called it generic.

14 years of success on one drug makes me think your issues are really not your drug but I'm no expert.....
Before switching look more into the RAI side effects like I mentioned.
I'd hate to see you switch and then be miserable because you're on a new drug.  From the above posts you can see some people switch to the drug you're currently on and have more success.
I have dry mouth too and I'm on synthroid and haven't had RAI so could be hypo symptoms and I haven't always had the dry mouth problems, only in the last couple of years.  I think the prescription I take for my bladder (ditropan) contributes also.  Are you on any other meds that list that as a side effect?
Apologizes.  I wasn't necessarily trying to rebut or correct what you said, only that I've been on Levoxyl and have had so many problems with its name (I've posted about that before).  Believe me, I have tons of wacky pharmacy stories and could relate to yours.
Well, I had 14 years of success on Levoxyl until my throidectomy.  When I started back on it after the surgery I started having all kinds of funky issues. Whether or not they are related to the medicine, I have no idea.  I tend to think it's all related to the RAI. But when I talk to my endo about it he doesn't seem to think so.  I did have a complete loss of taste after RAI but it came back. Then the teeth pain started 2 months after RAI. 3 months afterwards the dry mouth started. My doctor does not know what to think as he swears he's NEVER had anyone with my issues.  Not sure if I believe that but what can you do?  My dentist has treated patients that have had RAI and he told me that my symptoms are in line with RAI patients several YEARS after having the treatment, not months. So, I started the Synthroid today at an increased dosage and we'll see what happens. He raised me to 150 now. Can hardly wait for the side effects of that!
Good luck.  Hope it works out for you.