Early Aug.2007, i was sent to have a thyroid ultrasound after they felt a slight enlargement. The results came back saying the left thyroid lobe was grossly enlarged. I stopped my levothyroxine to prepare for tests. The past few weeks i've had discomfort and the past 2 weeks i've been losing my voice. It has gotten to the point where it feels like a pulling ache when i talk and i need to whisper or not talk in order to ease the discomfort. I saw a surgeon yesterday who told me i definately need surgery but he wants a thyroid scan in order to know what he's dealing with so he can prepare. If it's just the left lobe of my thyroid shouldn't it be easy to remove it, unless he thinks there is more involved. I'd appreciate any feedback on this thank you.
The discomfort and losing your voice are most likely from the thyroid lobe growing since you've been on your levothyroxine. When it affects your voice and causes discomfort it's time to get it out. The thyroid scan your doctor is probably looking for is an uptake scan to see if there are nodules in the lobe that are producing hormones or not.
I've had the surgery twice - once for the right side (they found cancer after I was already in recovery) then a year later on the left side. My surgeries weren't bad at all - no where near as bad as my abdominal surgeries. All four of my sisters and my daughter have also had their thyroids removed. My surgeon said my thyroid was "sticky" as were some of my sisters - meaning it took longer to try to remove all of the tissue from surrounding tissues. My daughter's largest nodule was pressing against a major artery so it took a bit longer too.
Your surgeon probably wants to see if the thyroid is wrapping around structures and if there is any suspicious areas before he/she dives in.
Check and see how many thyroid surgeries this surgeon has performed - that's important. Also find out just what types of tests they are waiting to do.
Thanks, i figured as much but wanted input from one who has gone through it. I now have to wait until the 11th for the scan and i just wish they would be more understanding in this. None of them have any idea how it feels, it hurts to swallow, talk louder than a whisper. Almost tempted to just say forget about going back to the surgeon since it seems to be more trouble than it's worth right now. I'm just tired of the run around of it all. And to think it's progressed quickly since late July early Aug..All this started because i got a second opinion about swollen lymph nodes, part of me doesn't think it's worth it anymore. I don't want to die, trust me but i'm just tired of the way i feel and the inability to make quick progression in this. Will fill in as i get the info, hopefully they'll have a cancellation sooner, fingers crossed. They have already done a neck CT and thyroid ultrasound. Take Care and God Bless.
Oops wrong button last time. I could have written your posting. I have been about a year with trouble swollowing, breathing and speaking. Not to mention all the other lovely symptoms like brain fog, racing heart, dry skin ect. My thyroid levels were always normal though so my doctor thought it was not my thyroid. That was until he noticed the "swelling" that kept getting larger in my neck. He sent me for an ultrasound, xray and iodine test in March-May which showed I have several noduals and my thyroid is so enlarged that it is pushing on several things in my neck. My esophagus being pressed is my voice and breathing problems and nerves being pressed are causing numbness in my face. I am still waiting for the appointment with the surgon which is in January. My doctor is monitoring things. My largest noduals have grown 4x the size since March and the enlargment is now quite visible (football player neck). All we can do is wait and pray sometimes.
I had some of the same things too. I just had mine out a month ago and things have gone pretty well. The surgery in and of itself was a pretty easy recovery and the symptoms I had are gone. I now have some other symptoms of post surgery but I know they will fade off as I continue to heal which is a far cry better than knowing they aren't going to stop or possibly get worse. I had voice issues, swallowing troubles, and some sleeping problems due to how enlarged mine got. Mine enlarged very very rapidly and the Dr said it was good that they took it when they did as I had even gotten larger since my ultrasound just 5-6 weeks prior.
Mine too has progressed rapidly and they mentioned a possible substernal. I go for my thyroid uptake and scan on thursday and see the surgeon on saturday. They mentioned the possibility of cancer. He told me that most of my thyroid would have to come out but he wanted the uptake and scan so see what he's up against so he can prepare. If he thought it was just my thyroid wouldn't he have just scheduled surgery? Mine can be felt as though it is growing inward but not as easily seen when you look at my neck. It has gotten harder to swallow the past week and i've been sleeping elevated. Mind you this "growth" started while i was on my levothyroxine with no other symptoms at the time aside from swollen lymph nodes. I'm counting the days for the test and surgeon appt., Hope you continue to feel better.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.