Swollen Temples and graves disease

I had hyperthyroid a couple of years back and been treated with radio active iodine medication in september 2010. I even had swollen eyes and looking at my eyes the doctor said I have graves disease.My roommates have noticed and informed me that due to bulged eyes when I am asleep I keep my eyes open. Sometimes while I am sleeping  I noticed my eyes water a lot and in the middle of sleep I wake up due to burning and rush to restroom real quick to wash them. The opthalmologists have suggested that I need to go through a surgery to reduce the bulging of eyes and I am scared of it. They have recommended me to use the eye drops like artificial tears during day and refresh pm ointment for the night and I am using them. Is there a way that I can reduce the bulging eyes and get my eyes normal without surgery??

Also, Since november 2010 my thyroid conditions have changed and I now have hypothyroid. Ever since the transformation of thyroid levels I have gained almost like 20 pounds of weight with in a month's time. And since then if the weather is cold or if I get a bit excited or if I eat anything hard my temples used to swell on both sides. But initially they never stayed longer than few minutes. Now I have been noticing that my temples swell quite frequently and staying for days and its causing me head pains frequently. I am not sure if this is because of graves disease or my thyroid. But I want to get rid of this. I dont have any issue with my vision or anything. So please suggest.

Thanks a bunch
Im sorry I dont have an answer for you, but given how long ago you posted this, I wondered if you ever acquired an answer elsewhere.  My husband has your same story and the swelling temples are driving him crazy.  Did you ever find out what was causing it?  And did it ever go away?