Thyroid Disorders Community
Swollen Thyroid (?) Feeling of a knot in my throat when I swallow

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

For almost a week now I have experienced difficulty swallowing.  Almost feels like there is a lump in my throat.  I was looking at my throat in the mirror this morning and noticed that my the middle of my throat is enlarged.  When I press on it or around it, it feels sore, and I can tell that is the exact place I feel the "lump" when I swallow.  Wondering what this is, and how urgent it is to go to the Dr.?  I have no medical Insurance at this time due to my husband changing jobs.  I am in fear if I go the Dr this will be a pre-existing condition whatever it is.  If it is my Thyroid it sounds like alot of tests will need to be performed??  Please help...does this sound like Thyroid Problems and how urgent is it to see a Doctor?
Hi Tess,

I am sorry you are going through this. Yes, this could definitely be your thyroid from yoru description. An enlarged thyroid is called a goiter. Is is hard to swallow saliva, food, everything? For me it was ok to swallow food or thick drinks, but difficult to swallow saliva. Do you only feel the lump when you swallow or is it always there? Do you have any other symptoms? It could also be related or combined with GI problems (acid reflux, esophageal spasms,etc...I did a lot of research when I was dealing with this too...)

People have goiter/enlarged thyroid for years and it is not life-threatening as long as you  are not having breathing problems. Are you having any trouble breathing? This would be the most urgent thing to deal with--if it is interfering with your breathing then you should definitely go see a doctor soon. They will do blood tests and probably a thyroid ultrasound and then go from there.

The longer you wait to get it checked out will increase your anxiety and fears, etc. so I'd recommend going to the doctor soon if you can. Hang in there. ((hugs))

Sandra