Thyroid Disorders Community
Swollen Thyroid, left side

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Swollen Thyroid, left side

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism a couple of years ago and have been on levothyroxine since then (75 mcg). Recently i started having swollen lymph nodes and after an ultrasound found out the left side of my thyroid is "grossly" enlarged. I do not remember the dimentions and forgot to get a copy this time. I have been off my levothyroxine in preparation for my Thyroid Uptake and Scan on October 4th. Their diagnosis is thyromegaly(goiter) and Hyperthyroidism. My TSH Hypersensitive is 3.60 (0.34-5.60 range) , Free T4 is 0.91 (0.61-1.12 range), and Triiodothyronine (T3) Total is 1.20 (0.87-1.78 range). With the results being within normal range due to the levothyroxine, how do they figure i have hyperthyroidism based simply on an enlarged thyroid? Lately it's been uncomfortable laying on my left side, if i speak too loudly it hurts because i feel a pull and if i sleep the wrong way i have trouble breathing. I have no idea what is going on and am relying on the Dr.'s to help me out. Any suggestions and advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
No idea about the hypERthyroid bit, but a goitre is extremely dangerous when it can stop you breathing.
I have had 3 goitre ops ("normal" goitre and multinodular version) and 3 doses of radioactive iodine.
Symptoms of thyroid problems are most complex and I suspect each sufferer has a unique set out of all the numerous possible ones. Mine have certainly confused me and surprised some of the doctors I have seen.
My blood tests have repeatedly shown me to be euthroid since first symptoms 19 years ago.
In your circumstances you only seem to have 2 options, the same ones I was presented with for each of my ops - (1) do nothing, except perhaps take some form of medication, slowly get worse and eventually suffocate or suffer irreparable lung damage from repeated bouts of pneumonia; (2) have an operation to remove (part of) goitre, and then take appropriate medication.
The relief you feel after the op when you can breathe properly once again cannot be put into words.
Go ahead, have the darned thing taken out, but consider whether it is better to have a TOTAL thyroidectomy, as with a PARTIAL thyroidectomy the thing can come back again with a vengeance in the future like mine did!
The risks of complications increase the more thyroid ops you have. And they are very serious complications indeed!
Thank you for your advice. I have an appointment friday and will see what they suggest. Though i do not like surgery, i have had a few and know the routine. In this case it's my neck and i'm afraid though i know it would be performed to benefit me. My main concern is not knowing why it's happening now, my levels are within normal range and technically it should not be happening but it is. Since i've stopped the levothyroxine i've been cold, i'm usually the one who stays warm and had been that way before my thyroid messed up. Anyway, it'll be over soon and i'll be better hopefully. Good luck. Take Care and God Bless.