Swollen Thyroid/lymph nodes
About two months ago I went to the doctor because there was this constant chocking sensation in my throat as if something was pushing on my windpipe/esophagus.  He checked the area and stated that my thyroid was really swollen.  He ran some tests and my TSH levels were normal but at the very low side and the antibody test came back positive for antibodies.  He started me on synthroid two months ago but I still have that chocking sensation.  Does anyone know how long before the swelling goes down?  My doctor won't send me to a specialist and just has me continuing the meds.  Also for quite some time before I noticied the chocking sensation I had multiple lymph nodes in my throat swelling now they are still swollen and so are ones in my armpit.  They can't find a cause for the swollen glands could they be swollen due to the thyroid?
If you have antibodies you probably have a sub-clinical (not showing up on your thyroid levels) autoimmune thyroid condition going on.  Unless you are on an old fashioned HMO, you should not be unable to go to a specialist on your own.  Find an endocrinologist who specializes in thyroid conditions (most only deal with diabetes) or a good ENT.  The swollen lymph nodes could just be due to an unidentified infection, the thyroiditis, or could be something more.  You need additional testing and imaging studies (ultrasound, CT scan, etc.).

Don't be afraid to push past your doctor's recommendations to just continue with the meds.  If you feel there is something more going on (and obviously you do or you wouldn't be here) insist on a referral or just get one on your own.

You are your own best health care advocate!

Utahmomma
papillary carcinoma
Thanks for the information.  I am concerned because I have one of those insurance companies where I have to get my doctor to sign off on a referal or go out of pocket and I just don't think my doctor has an interest in trying to help me.  The doctor who diagnosed me was a fill in for my normal doctor and he was great but she won't do anything more for me about it.  I just wanted some information before i really press harder for answers.