Thyroid Disorders Community
Synthetic vs Natural Thyroid Medications

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Which medication do you recommend or does your doctor recommend?  Are you considering a change?
Save yourself possible hypo. grief : I recommend Nature-thyroid NOT Armour if you choose to use a desicated "natural" hormone. New Armour formula failed us recently. Switched 1 month ago to Naturthroid. Doing much better symptomatically. Waiting for lab results 9/20. Was on Synthroid (t4 only)  for many years. Not converting enough to t3 (ACTIVE HORMONE). Always check your free t3 levels! If too low, but t4 is high normal, then t3 will be needed along with the t4. We chose to do this with a natural desicated approach, but it can be added synthetically as well. It really is a personal choice of "what ever works best for each individual." If it's not working, then switch meds and even doctors if needed! We chose desicated because my daughter is 8 and born without a gland. Desicated is more equivalent to human thyroid hormone, but with more t3. It also has t4, t1, t2 etc.. Hope this helps you with your decision.
The PA in my doctor's practice prescribed Naturethroid for me last year and I went into a tail spin with TSH levels.  My PCP had a fit and put me back on Synthroid.  I feel that I should probably be taking Cytomel as well.  I see a new internist on Tuesday---my PCP went into one of those new practices where the patients have to pay an annual fee to see him so my husband and I decided to find a new doctor.  It works to lower their patient load and supposedly give him more time to spend with each patient.  I have had severe hypo symptoms since May so I know that my levels have to be haywire.
Did your TSH spin up or down? The reason I ask is that Naturethroid's conversion chart is not correct. It takes more Naturthroid then the chart says to get equal value when switching from other meds to NT. My daughter is now on 1 grain more of the NT then the Armour. She was on 120 mg Armour and the chart said that to convert to NT that she would need 130 mg NT. Instead she is on 195 mg and I suspect she will need even slightly more. I'm going to try to hold her here until labs though because it is a good base point and she is feeling well enough to function and be happy. Joint aches are not near as bad and seem to slowly be improving. They say that for however long you've had a hypo. symptom, that it can take up to double that amount of time once you are optimal, for that hypo symptom to resolve itself. Stella 5439 is on 2 grains more of the NT then the Armour and her labs and symptoms have been great! I've also seen other post of people who have switched using the conversion chart and commented that it wasn't strong enough. Instead of "tweeking" their dose slowly upward, they just assumed that it was the med and bailed too quickly. It might have been the med for you, but your doctor obviously didn't know about this issue with the conversion chart/strength. You could always try again if you are in the mood. I would want to know "definately" before I decided that a med was not the right one. I'll keep you posted on her labs and symptoms. Stella 5439 can fill you in even more on this if you want to persue.
Sorry for the delay inposting.  I have been out of town.  My TSH jumped from 1.8 to 77.653 in less than two months.  Free T4 jumped from 1.19 to 1.9 (both were below Low Normal.  T3 Free went from 2.4 to 1.6 which took it to Below Low Normal range.  I was on 1 grain NT and I know that it wasn't nearly enough but I honestly don't know if I am ready to go through all of this again.  Hopefully, my new doc will add Cytomel if my T3 Free is still low.
I understand. Yes, you were  WAY undermedicated. Right now, Naturethroid is having a supply and demand issue so it is hard to find and most pharmacies are waiting for their orders to be filled. (Don't have any in stock) This is due to Armour issues with reformulation and the FDA. Everyone is switching over at once.Will be available again in 90 days they say. In your situation, try adding the t3 cytomel to the the Synthroid, but start out slowly, and split the t3 dose between morning and afternoon. Laura1967 would be good to chat with on this. You have 3 months to give it a try and then Naturethroid will be available if it doesn't work out the synthetic way.Make sure your doc is monitering both the freet3 and freet4 closely . They should line up mid to high normal when you chart them on a bell shape curve with tsh low normal on opposite end of the bell. Order and read Dr. David Brownsteins book Overcoming Thyroid Disorders (Amazon.com). He's a genious when it comes to this stuff. Please keep me updated on how the cytomel works for you. Good Luck and God Bless!