Thyroid Disorders Community
Synthroid, Armour and T3 question

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Synthroid, Armour and T3 question

Hello:

I have hypothyroidism due to anti-bodies, for which I am on Synthroid. It has brough my TSH levels down significantly.

I know the decreased TSH levels will greatly reduce the functioning of my damaged thyroid. Does this always result in T3 and FT3 problems?

I hear Armour contains T3 and traces of other thyroid hormones. Do people find it is generally a better choice over Synthroid or do some people have issues with it?
Decreased TSH does not reduce the functioning of your thyroid; your TSH was apparently high DUE TO your thyroid functioning improperly in the first place.

TSH is a pituitary hormone and is only an "indicator" (at best) of what the thyroid is actually producing.  The thyroid isn't putting out what it should, so the pituitary cranks out some TSH, expecting the thyroid to respond.  When the thyroid doesn't respond, the pituitary cranks out even more TSH ---- as this "lack of communication" continues between the pituitary and the thyroid, the TSH limits will most likely continue to rise; ultimately, the pituitary is asking the thyroid to do something it's no longer capable of doing, which is producing enough hormones.  TSH, alone, should never be used to diagnose a thyroid issue or to dose med(s).

You need to have your Free T3 and Free T4 levels tested as well, since those are the actual thyroid hormones that the body uses, with Free T3 being the most important because it is approximately 4 times more potent.  

Your body can't directly use T4; it must be converted to T3 in order for the body to utilize it.  Synthroid is a T4 med, so what happens is that you take the synthroid, your body converts it to T3, you live happily ever after ------- well, at least that's the way it's SUPPOSED to work..........

Some of us don't convert T4 to T3 well, so we have to add a T3 med.  Some (like myself), add cytomel (liiothyronine) to the synthroid (levothyroxine). So we have the T4 med - some of which is converted, but not quite enough, so the T3 med fills the gap.  As an example - I am currently on 88 mcg levo (T4) and 5 mcg liiothyroinine (T3) and have been for some time.  I now know that my levels (FT3 and FT4) are off some, so my next step is to leave the T3 med as is and raise the T4, in hopes that I will convert enough to bring my levels back to what I need; if that doesn't happen, I'll have to increase my T3 med.  

Because T3 is so potent, it has the potential to make one go hyper in no time flat......I keep my dose of T3 small, because I've heard the horror stories of those who have gone hyper.......

Armour has both T3 and T4 and works very well for some.  Each grain of Armour has a set amount of T3 and T4; you can't change what's there.  There are some who absolutely must have the Armour or NatureThroid, while some of us do better on synthetics because we feel that we have better control.  In a lot of cases, it's a personal choice; in others, it's necessary.

All of that said -- please post your actual lab results, along with the reference ranges for each test, since these are lab specific and must come from your own report.  

Having the actual lab numbers for each parameter, will help members comment more fully on your specific issue.