Synthroid Vs. levothyroxine
How many of you out there are taking Synthroid everyday for their thyroid disorders? How many on Levothyroxine? Notice any difference between the two?  

12
1. Synthroid

7
2. levothyroxine

1
3. Other

1
4. name other
I've taken Levoxyl, Levothyroxine and Synthroid. Didn't notice a difference. But then, that was back when I was taking the meds for hypo and I didn't have the faintest idea what "Hypo" was.  Had no clue about symptoms therefore I didn't have any. Ignorance was bliss.
I used to tale levothyroxine, now I take Synthroid and Armour. I could feel a difference, I feel much better.

Honestly, I think you mean to poll whether someone is on a brand name vs. a generic.

Synthroid is levothyroxine; so really your first two choices are the same thing.

All synthetic replacement hormone meds are called levothyroxine.  From there it breaks down to generic levothyroxines and brand named levothyroxines.  One of those brands is called Synthroid.  Some other brands are Levoxyl; Levothroid; Unithroid.

I hope you don’t think I’m jumping on your case.  It is all…like stupid confusing.

Anyway, to answer you poll, I take the brand Levoxyl.  Of your choices, that would put me in the same category as Synthroid.  My dr recommended I be on a synthetic med that is a brand.  Due to my insurance I chose Levoxyl.  So far, I don’t have many issues with it.

Take care.
I've only been taking thyroid med since June and only synthroid because my dr won't consider anything else!!
My son has been on Synthroid since birth.  When kids are little, they learn to chew the pills, and the taste is obviously familiar.  When we moved to the states, the pediatrician did not specify Synthroid on his prescription, and we received a generic.  My son did not like the taste, and he didn't feel well for a few days (I think he was about 6).  I had the doctor write a prescription for Synthroid, and all was ok.  Shortly thereafter, I was (coincidentally?) sitting in my GP waiting room next to a Synthroid drug rep.  I explained my son's experience, and she told me that the binders in the generics are different, and this not only causes it to taste different, but they have determined that effectiveness is different for former Synthroid users.  Of course she was motivated to promote Synthroid, but that did reflect our experience.  Just an FYI...
I have only taken synthroid.  Cant compare the others
Only been on synthroid .. finding the right dose is key for me.  and then it works fine.
Currently generic.  Levothyroxine.  Synthroid caused MANY problems for me... Joint pain/arthritis and bloating were the primary problems.
Just wanted to see who was doing what. Was told that my synthroid was most likely causing my problems. All I do know is that I am not doing as well when dose was lowered. No difference with brand or generic, I've had both. One doesn't make me feel better than the other. Was told to watch out for bad generics making there way through our pharmacy's. My question was really was geared toward generics, sorry for the confusion. Just didn't experience anything different, to me they are all the same. Kind of thinking that it may be my change in the dose I'm taking.
In Australia we don't get a choice..it's either Eutoxsig or Oroxine..the latter being the generic of the former....which is made by the same company...you might find a few on Armour here but it is quite rare to have that here.
ooops I meant Eutroxsig
Another Aussie here - I had my TT on Jan 17 2006 & up until 2 months ago I had been on varying doses of synthetic T4 (eutroxsig/oroxine). I'm now on Natural Thyroid Extract (NTE) - similar to 'Armour', still fine tuning, early days.
Sorry guys.........brain fogs' bad today - derr - I had my TT in '07 not '06 as stated above. Me thinks I need a strong coffee. ROFLMAO  : )
That would be great if a generic turns out to be the answer for you.  Because it's much cheaper, for one thing.

I hope everything works out well for you.

Keep giving updates.
I have been told by my doc, that the federal standards of a generic med only need to meet 80percent of the original drug ingredients.  That is why some people may not feel the same on a generic med vs brand name.

I feel a difference better difference with synthroid.  Other meds, I tolerate generics:)
I noticed a difference between the two. I am on synthroid and doing better.                                        
I am 35 years old, male and I recently was diagnosed with  hypothyroidism.  I have not expereinced any symstom as it is described, but ever since my MD gave me the news I am out of whack and do not know if I am just tired of is this thing...hypothyroidism. I am very active, I run 5-7 miles 3 x a week, I work and I do everythign a 35 years old man would do and then  this thing.  I know it is not a serious illness, but nevertheless, no one wants an illness and yet be in a medication regimen for the rest of life. I am holding my jar of med, I have not taken it yet, I am having another blood test next week just as a 2nd opinion. But my question is  what is like to have hypothyroidism and the ups and downs of being of a medication regimen. I see for people here are women, are any man out there with hypothyroidism...What one is like with hypothyroidism. Thanks.
Hello Runner714,
I too am a runner and was just recently diagnosed in Feb. 2011 with having hypo, too.
I found out when I was training for my first half marathon.  I won't lie... I was very upset... I thought the world was going to end.  I started a blog and posted it on FB and found that so many of my friends have been diagnosed with some sort of thyroid problem and it was more common than I thought.  No one wants to take meds for the rest of their life, but I figured if I take vitamins... whats the difference.
After starting to take my medications, I started to feel so much better.  My stomach stopped hurting and it's wonderful!  It does take a bit to find the balance, but it's worth it.
I had gained about 20 lbs, due to the hypo and not that i'm on meds... the lbs. have simply fallen off!  Having my body back in order feels great!  
Take the meds and know that you will be ok :)
Excellent Clarification!!  I take brand synthroid and do very well post thyroid cancer.  They did try some other opitions and my TSH did not respond favorably.  Just saying for me there is a difference between brands as well as generics. My sister-in-law uses a USA generic and says it works fine but does not take it every day or get her blood checked due to lack of insurance so it's touch to say whether the generic is effective or not.  My husband on the other hand follows similar reactions with meds as his sister, however in the case of synthroid my husband requires brand synthroid to get his blood level to normal.  This was found after much trial and error and painstaking bad symptoms (including developing high blood pressure)as the doc believed there was no difference in the brand vs. generic and said my husband was otherwise healthy so generic should be fine.   He kept saying my husband was too fat (6'1" 240 pounds) and that eventually the generic would work.  After 3 years and an additional 50 pound weight gain the doctor prescribed the brand synthroid in the exact same dose as he was taking in generic.  My husbands blood pressure came down within a week of starting brand synthroid. What I am saying here is that metabolically the thyroid affects the body in many ways as usually I don't think it's common to have such an effect on developing high blood pressure with generic and have it cease with the brand synthroid. Also, the blood pressure went up before the extra 50 pounds then decreased before he lost the weight, so just to clarify the blood pressure was not a weight issue per se.  And, within 4 months my husband lost the 50 pounds and his thyroid blood level is normal now.
I have used levothyroxine for over twenty years.  And now I am starting to understand my ups and downs with it.  I watched Dr. Oz today and he said that generics may only be 80% or 125%.  This is large difference when taking a hormone.  Synthyroid is very precise FDA ruled prescription.  Has anyone developed osteoporosis and did you know this was a possible side effect.