Thyroid Disorders Community
Synthroid and Antibiotic

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Synthroid and Antibiotic

I have the Prevacid and Synthoid issue under control.  However, now I have to take an antibiotic for 7 days for UTI.
Has anyone ever been told that antibiotics will interfer with synthyroid absorption?  There isn't any mention of it on the printout that came with med.
No, just try to space the 2 of them apart a couple of hours. Rule of thumb is to always take your synthroid apart from any other meds or vitamins by at least a couple of hours. With the exception of Iron and calcium which need to be taken 4 hours apart.
I just had the same situation, although in my case I did not find there was an interaction until I was done taking the Anti-Biotic, I found they had done a study and found that certain antibiotics change or reduce the rate of absorption of thyroid medications. This group is called "Fluoroquinolone" Which includes Ciprofloxacin and others.laura1967 is correct,  I was informed by my End to take them 4 hrs apart, to be on the safe side. The article was released by the British Medical Journal and many American Doctors are not aware of this problem. Good Luck FTB4