Thyroid Disorders Community
Synthroid and Vitamin D

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Synthroid and Vitamin D

Can I take Vitamin D with my synthroid?
Yes, but you should take the vitamin D at noon or supper. At least four hours after taking your Synthroid.
Thanks! I have been experiencing an onset of fatigue in the afternoon and the endrocronologist suggested a Vit D supplement since they could not increase my synthroid.  I will see if it helps.
Last year I was told my my endo. to not eat soy products and take calcium pill 4 hrs. after synthroid.  This visit, she informed me I should not be eating high fiber cereal until at least 4 hrs after taking synthroid.  I have to assume that 1% Special K would be OK for breakfast compared to the high fiber Shredded Wheat and Fiber One.  What can you tell me about this?
LOL!!

High fiber cereal?

I don't know. Hadn't heard that one. I eat oatmeal every once in a while. The soy I can understand. Waiting 4 hours to take calcium I can understand.

I haven't read anything about avoiding high fiber for 4 hours after taking your Synthroid. There may be a good reason, but I don't know what it is.

I hope toast is ok...

Let's get some more thoughts on this, please.
I'm curious as to what the reason might be.
Yes, I read about not eating high fiber when taking the Synthroid. It will flush out the medication from the system faster.
the drug insert in my box of synthroid says the following:

"Consumption of certain foods may affect levothyroxine absorption thereby necessitating adjustments in dosing.  Soybean flour  (infant formula), cotton seed meal, walnuts and dietary fiber may may bind and decrease the absorption of levothyroxinesodium from the GI tract."
Pat 539:  Are you sure the endo wasn't talking about not eating high fiber soon after taking the ‘calcium?’  That actually is something to avoid, if possible - especially if you’re someone who has hypocalcemia.

So, in other words, high fiber needs to be spaced apart from calcium and calcium needs to be spaced apart from the Synthroid.  Oh, so much to manage!

~

But back to the original query…  Curious as to why a dr is prescribing vit d in and of itself (?).
After reading what you just wrote I looked at the insert for my most recent refill of Levoxyl (brand named levothyroxine).

You are absolutely correct!!!

"...Certain foods may decrease the absorption of this medication when taken at the same time.  Take levothyroxine separately from: soybeen flour (soybean infant formula), walnuts, dietary fiber. ..."

Thanks for sharing your own citation.

I wait two hours after taking the med to eat or drink anything anyway.  I hope that covers it.
Well...

(*scribles oatmeal off the breakfast menu*)

Dang!

So is home made bread (white flour) high fiber?
Blueberry Muffins??
Well, I put a tablespoon of Benefiber every in my coffee every morning for 10 years and drank it right after I took my thyroid meds.  But, I was pretty consistent with it so I guess it didn't really matter.  I don't do that anymore but I do have one or two pieces of double fiber toast everyday after taking my meds and my levels haven't changed.
Oh, do have that oatmeal, Benefiber and toast - only wait before having it.

Now I'm hungry! ☺
what do you think about the hype of iodine plus 2..does it work?  Do hormones play a big part in my hypothyroidism??
Some thyroid medications, such as Synthroid (which is what I am on) can actually CAUSE a vit d deficiency over time. My doctor suggested I start taking a supplement when I started synthroid- but that was also due in cause of the fact that I was already forming a vit d deficiency. I go back for more bloodwork next week, so we'll see how it helped.
While there are a lot of people with thyroid issues (and on synthroid or other forms of thyroid medication), who are deficient in vitamin D (I, being one), I've never heard that synthroid "CAUSES" vitamin D deficiency.  Do you have data to support that?  
I eat whatever I want, 2 hours after taking synthroid. I have to eat high fiber, because this medication constipates me. I take calcium 6 hours after. I also had a serious vit D deficiency, most likely caused by  the synthroid, so now I have to take 1000mgs  of D and I take it along with the calcium. And, on top of everything else, I feel like crap. Even though my synthroid levels are normal. My muscles and bones ache, and I am weak and tired all the time.
It's not the medication that constipates you, or causes your bones and muscles to ache, or causes vitamin D deficiency.  They are all related to being hypo.

Even though your labs might be in the so-called "normal" range, apparently, they aren't where YOU need them to be. Just being "in range isn't good enough, most of the time.

If you would post your current thyroid results, with reference ranges, members can help assess your situation and comment further.
My doctor put me on both during the winter.  At first he prescribed D2, which gave me terrible migraines.  After that, he told me to get D3 over the counter.  The problem was that soy is in most OTC D3, so I had adverse reactions, no matter what time of day I took it.

The good news, however, is that NOW Foods makes 2 versions of D3 that are soy-free.  The liquid form is from lanolin, and a soft-gel form from Olive Oil.
ok, my tsh value is 1.223. Units uIU/ml. And reference range 0.400-4.000. Thank you..