Thyroid Disorders Community
Synthroid and probiotics

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Synthroid and probiotics

Hey all! Can anyone tell me if it's ok to take my probiotics (to treat IBS) at the same time I take my Synthroid? I know not to take my multivitamin until a few hours has passed, but I'm not sure about the other. Also, while I'm on the subject, what about the Glucousamine I take for my joints? Can that be taken at the same time? Thanks for any feedback!
I don't know about the Glucosamine but I take my Synthroid everyday with an Enzymatic Acidophilus Pearl. Been doing it for years and haven't had any issues. You can always do what I think the rest of us do.....take the rest of your vitamins with lunch and look like a drug addict at work!
I'm so used to taking everything first thing in the morning, and now this thyroid business is really messin' with my schedule! I do the vitamin thing later in the day now, but the probiotics are to be taken on an empty stomach. I keep trying to post a question to the doctor, but everytime I go there, the daily limit for questions has been reached.
One hour prior to your thyroid meds. and good for you to get on them.

They are awesome!!!! - I faithfully take mine.
Does anyone know the protocol for taking thyroid meds, anti-biotic and pro-biotic?
Hi .. bumping this question back up to the top .. I'm not 100% sure.  I'd call your pharmacist to be sure because they do need to be spaced out.

C~
Other meds and vitamin/minerals/supplements, particularly calcium and magnesium, should be separated from thyroid meds by about 4 hours, but I know that doesn't fit everyone's schedule.  I take my Tirosint (T4), first, then an hour or so later, my T3 med and diuretic.  That's between 6 am and 7 am.  About mid morning, I take my probiotic, vitamin D, then about noon, I have another dose of T3 med.  I take calcium, magnesium, selenium, etc before bed.

I think the biggest issue is consistency.  If you do the same thing every day, you should be okay and if you're taking vitamins/minerals too close to thyroid med, you may have to increase your thyroid med dosage.

High fiber foods also, inhibit absorption of thyroid med.