Thyroid Disorders Community
Synthroid and swelling/joint pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Synthroid and swelling/joint pain

Help!  My hands and feet hurt.  In fact they look swollen - I feel like I am moving around like an old lady.  What gives?  I stoped at the pharmacy and picked up at Calc/Mag/D combination and have started that as well as advil.  Any other suggestions?  I am newly on Synthroid as of 7/11 - 88mcg and 1 month post op for lobectomy.  Any suggestions would be helpful!
I had a terrible time with Synthroid.  I switched post TT, after about 3 months on Levothyroxine and Cytomel combo.  I almost immediately puffed up like a marshmellow and had severe joint/arthritis pain.  I dubbed myself "Princess Bloat-a-lot"... I've since switched to Levoxyl and added the Cytomel back in, and the issues seem to be dissipating.  I also have calcium, vit D issues.  I'm working on that as well with 50,000 IU's per week.  Maybe try a different brand or generic?  Good luck.
Avatar n tn
Can you share what brand of Vit D you are taking that has 50,000IU potency ?. How long have you been taking it.
Swelling and inflammation are classic signs of still being hypothyroid. I would get your levels checked early -

It sounds you are in need of a med increase. Adding a T3 or changing to a T4-T3 combo med may help alot.

Hi.  When I started on synthroid and subsequently with every dose adjustment, I suffered with very painful leg and joint pain.  It lasted about 2-3 weeks with the worst being when I was laying down.  As my body became use to the change, they subsided.
I just got the perscription filled last week, so I've taken only one so far.  I had hoped to run get the bottle and tell you the brand name of the vit d.  However, after retrieving it, the bottle says: Vitamin D 50000IU softgel and the word  "BARR" (very small) underneath.  "Take one capsule once a week".  So un-helpful, I know...
I see the endo on Friday for the first time.  Just had my blood done 2 weeks ago so...  I have tried the calcium and have taken 100% of the recommended daily dose - it seemed to help some today however right now I would say I feel horrible.  In fact I could cry cry cry ...would wine help?  lol
Wine is good for EVERYTHING!  It's the "whine" that makes things worse... at least when I whine it does...  LOL!
What i don't understand is WHY do I feel this bad?  I didn't hurt before the surgery and I wasn't on medication either?  
I also have joint pains.  It hurts sooo bad someday's.  I've only been on levothyroxine for hypoT Dx. since the end of may.   My pains started to get really bad a few weeks BEFORE I started the levoT though.  

So I'm guessing that the pains are from the iron, calcium or D being low; but, I'm not sure.  Years ago I used to get the same pains mainly in my calfs taking me to the floor some days.  I drank quinine water and it seemed to help as a temp. fix.  They come along for a few days then leave for a couple.  They can be anywhere from in my hands, elbows, calf's, back, neck. ???  I now take a multi vit., calcium, iron and drink more reg. milk and they have eased up on most days.

There is another post similar to this on neck pain and hypothyroidism.  Just thought I would chime in on my little 2 cents of information.  Take care.
P. S.  I also walk like a penguin every morning (like my ankles will not bend - very stiff).  I wake up with very puffy red eyes now.  Everything is blurry for the first 20 minutes or so.  Don't know if that is related or not.