Thyroid Disorders Community
Synthroid at Night?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Synthroid at Night?

Hello everyone.  I was wondering if anyone knew any studies that stated taking synthroid at morning is any different to the body if taken at night before going to bed???  I am wanting to take it at night but want to make sure the pill works the same.  I am not sure that while sleeping that it works the same as you are up and active.  I do know that a couple of people do take it at night and I am sure there are more out there.  I would like to take it at night and not have to worry about getting up an hour early to wait to eat when I can do it before I go to bed and then wake up and be able to eat instead of waiting.  Especially since I have to be to work by 6:15am every work day.  Any help would be appreciated.  
Cheers,
Scott
I'm sure, there are various answers to this question, but some people's bodies adjust to meds, differently then others, at various times of the day.  Also different lifestyles.  In the past, I enjoyed staying up all night, and slept all day.  

But I was curious myself, and called my local pharmacist, and she said thyroid meds should be taken, when a person wakes up, so if a person wakes up at 8am, they take med, if a person wakes 2pm, then they take med.  She said, as long as the med schedule is persistent, Synthroid can be taken anytime upon wake up.  

Good luck !!
I found with me - taking any thyroid meds after 5 pm - kept me up and I slept horrible.

Some do fine - I didn't .

Its a cycle I suppose - to see where it works best for you.
Up until 3 months ago I took my thryoxin at 5.30am every morning.
Since starting work fulltime I found I could never have the time to have some breakfast so I changed my T4 med to night.
I take it around 8.30-9pm and do well on it.
Coincidence or not (I dont know) but it seems that I am no longer going through the regular 3 weekly pattern of going Hyper.
My levels are stable and I feel great!
My Doc told me as long as the timing is consistant then it doesnt matter whether day or night.
I did have 3 nights of bad dreams first off but that soon disappeared.
I sleep a good 8 hours every night and find it so much more convenient taking my thyroxin at night.
Hope that helps anyone here.
I recently started taking mine at night. It seems to be working well. I hated the jittery too much caffeine feeling I got about 2 hours after taking it every morning.
Yeah I got that too Scarlet.....never associated it with the T4 med either.
Although I do sleep well even though sometimes I dont take it until 9pm.
I still have the 'get up and go' in the morning too which is good.
I thought I would lose the energy 'burst ' taking it at night but I havent.
I tried taking at night and it kept me awake. I like it better in the AM. I take at 5:30 so I can eat an hour later when I get to work. I have more energy and get through the day when I take it in the AM.
Love Venora
Hi.  My Endo told me to take T3 in the morning and T4 at night.  I had bad insomnia for weeks and was sure taking the T4 at night was the culprit.  However, after about a month I did start to sleep better.   Unfortunately, I felt terrible on this medication so have now switched to Armour and T4 and take both in the morning.

Why are you on BOTH T4 and Armour when Armour has T4 in it along with T3?
Usually you take one or the other.
Just Curious.
My own experience is not so good taking my meds at night. After my tt in june of last year, I took my levothyroixne in the a.m.   I had my levels checked in Aug. and the tsh was .10, so the doc lowered my dose from .100 to .75. For some reason, I decided to start taking my pills at night. The next check in October my tsh was 50.81. Soooooooo, it didnt work well for me. I went to a new doctor, got back on .1000 and started taking it in the morning again and my last check in January was .81. Not too bad. I feel pretty good....just fat, though. Gaining like crazy. I don't know what happened when I started taking it at night to make the tsh go up that high. Something sure went wrong for me.
Your Pharmicist is SUPER wrong.  I was diagnosed in 2004 and never slept, had chronic aches & pains throughout my body AND needed a nap during the day!  In 2009, I switched to taking Levothyroxine at bedtime.  It kept me up an extra 4-5 hours BUT the energy wore off so a couple of weeks later, I was able to take it and go to sleep immediately.

By taking it at bedtime, the body is getting maximum absorption.
For me, I felt immediate results in the morning when I woke up the first time I started taking it at bedtime.  It regulated the circadian rhythm--I was able to sleep the WHOLE night AND function during the day. I felt rested and able to tackle anything.  

By taking it at bedtime, it regulated the circadian rhythm, lessened the weakness and lethargic feelin throughout my body, no longer constipated,
less hair loss.

I can adjust my med to whatever time I want.  When I get up early, I take it at 9 pm when I want to get up later I adjust it to a later time at night.
I find that I need a full-8 hours absorption.  I tried 7 and I still woke up feeling weak and lethargic.

By taking IT during the day, it's going in the toilet, being mixed with food, NOT getting maximum absorption. It also producing a false reading for the blood test by taking it in the A M.

I think it's HIGHLY wrong to advise us to take it in the A M--it doesn't make any sense.  WE are not receiving maximum absorption.

The body is receiving MAXimum absorption at bedtime by not absorbing food or beverages.

Taking IT at bedtime, has given me a better quality of life:)