Thyroid Disorders Community
Synthroid in p.m.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Synthroid in p.m.

Hi all~

I have been reading lately about better results when taking Synthroid at bedtime instead of in the morning.  I am on 100 mcg of Synthroid and TSH is at 1, but still having some symptoms.  I was just wondering if anybody takes meds at night and if you have seen better results.

Thank you.
Karen
I took it at night at first but it made me an insomniac.I do better with it in the am.
Love Venora
My mom found this article on taking synthroid at night and sent it to me a few weeks ago .. it is interesting reading!

~~~~~~`

Should You Take Your Thyroid Medication at Night?
From Mary Shomon,
Your Guide to Thyroid Disease.
FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!

Every thyroid patient has heard the advice that for best results, we should take our medication first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach, and wait at least 30 minutes to an hour before eating. (And also, that we should wait at least three to four hours before taking calcium or iron, which can interfere with thyroid hormone absorption.)

But research reported in the journal Clinical Endocrinology found that taking the same dose of levothyroxine (i.e., Synthroid) at bedtime, as compared to first thing in the morning, might be better.

The small pilot study was prompted by observation that some patients had improved thyroid hormone profiles improved after they switched from taking their levothyroxine in the morning, to bedtime. The purpose was to look at the impact on thyroid hormone profiles by changing the time levothyroxine was taken from early morning to bedtime.

Sponsored Links
Your Fat Isn't Your Fault
Learn How Insulin Resistance Keeps You Fat! Reverse It and Lose Weight
MicroNutra.com

Thyroid and Coconut Oil
Increase metabolism and energy by balancing your hormones and thyroid
www.coconutdiet.com

Thyroid Solution
I Lost 40 Lbs in Two Months Dr Recommended
www.azDiet.com
They also evaluated the impact of this change on the circadian rhythm of TSH and thyroid hormones and thyroid hormone metabolism.
The study, while small (12 subjects), was fairly conclusive in its findings, which the researchers said were