Thyroid Disorders Community
Synthroid low dose symptoms - Update

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Synthroid low dose symptoms - Update

I just spoke with my Endo.  Cause my breathing has been getting really bad this past week, only taking the med for 2 weeks, now I'm having bone pains in both arms, feel major fatigue & shaking, and my vision is distorted, clear but crosseyed.  

But the Endo said I'm on too low of a dose to have any side effects.  I'm on .075 mg, he said patients usually don't have side effects until 300, whatever that means.  And synthroid doesn't cause breathing issues.  

He told me to stop taking the med until he tests my FT3/T4 July 23 (finally), and he'll go from there.  He said my TSH is still normal, tested Saturday night at the ER, but he wouldn't give me the numbers.    

Geez, why does it take so long for endo appts,.  I still have to wait another 5 weeks.  

Your endo said WHAT???????

He put you on 75mcg, which is a substantial maintenance dosage, to shrink a goiter, if my memory serves me correctly. Your hormone levels were good, but the doctor put you on Synthroid to shrink the goiter. Is that correct?

If your Endo actually told you people wouldn't notice any affects of the meds until they were taking 300mcg, I would start running right now.

Most people who have no thyroid are taking less than that, by far. My thyroid is supposedly dead, and I am currently taking 100mcg. A month ago I was taking 75mcg. That's the same dosage you were put on.

Your breathing problems and such are because you have been driven to hyperthyroidism. The Synthroid is exactly why you feel the way you do.

This is the guy at the VA, isn't it?

Go demand a copy of your tests from the ER visit.
The Endo is either stupid or lying to you, and frankly I think it's a little of both.
AR-10 is correct. 300 mcg is really a high dose. I have not thyroid and i am only taking 125mcg, my highest level was 200mcg (on that dosage for 12 yrs). They discovered i was being over medicated on 200mcg for the last year or so.

Please call them back, or at least talk to a pharmacist. I would ask for copies of the lab results as well.

I would not wast much time in getting this corrected, hyperthyroidism is dangerous.
I can give the reference (I took it from a pharmacy book, farmacology) for levothyroxine dosage:
Adults: 1,6 mcg/kg/day: women: 75 - 100 mcg/day, men: 100 - 150 mcg/day.

For children: 10-15 mcg/kg/day
Sorry I mean pharmacology
I AGREE WITH EVERY post above .... you most certainly can have symptoms on 75mcgs ...... I have major symptoms anything higher than 75mcgs!!!!!!

Thank you all for you posts ...

Cheryl
Thanks for helpful replies everyone.  

AR-10: Yes my endo works at the VA.  He said .075 mg is a baby dose, I shouldn't be feeling any symptoms from it, especially breathing difficulty, just seems the longer I take the meds, the worse I am feeling.  Normal TSH levels, synthroid for reducing thyroid swelling.  

Wish I would have recorded our conversation, cause he did say, patients shouldn't have any symptoms till 300,.  But thanks to above posts, patient experiences tells a different story.

I will ask for an Endo transfer, and get a 2nd opinion.  

This is what Dr. Lupo shared pertaining to my thyroid question :
This is not likely to work well -- the current guidelines suggest against "suppressing" a TSH in order to treat a goiter/nodule -- so no levothyroxine in your case.  I the TSH is abnormally high (>3 or 4) then levothyroxine may help.

Thanks again to everyone.  

I agree. I was recently taking 75 mg of synthroid. To start. I have just been on this a little over two weeks. Symptoms were horrible. Your goiter can cause your breathing problems. Try just taking a tylenol until you get a second opinion. My doc has been working wonders for me. I just hope my body will adjust to the changes. I am now only on 50mg as of tomorrow we'll see how that goes!
Hi Cynnie,
Thanks for reply.  I knew some side effects would come with taking synthroid, but unaware they would be so sudden and extreme.  Thanks for the advice on Tylenol, I take Advil to help with swelling.  CT scan states I have a deviated trachea.  

Wonderful news your doc is taking care of you, hope the reduction in synthroid works well for you.