Thyroid Disorders Community
Synthroid vs. Armour

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Synthroid vs. Armour

Hi.  I was diagnosed with a thyroid condition approx. 2 years ago.  Started out on 50 mcg Synthroid and was living in a new world.  More energy than ever before, 50 lb rapid weight loss, facial hair disappeared, hair loss slowing, etc...

My dosage was increased after quarterly lab tests while feeling good leveled off.  After about nine months improvements had stopped, but I still felt better than I had pre-synthroid.

Until a few months ago, when I began feeling like I had totally regressed.  The mood swings, depression, fatigue, headaches and everything was returning and I felt worse than ever.  

I went to my endo desperate for help.  The result of my visit was just another increase in Synthroid from 88mcg to 100 mcg.  It has helped some, the horrific mood swings have subsided and I'm not sleeping >12 hours a day, but I still feel very far from "normal".

My question is about long term use of both synthroid and armour.  Is the need for a constant increase in dosage common?  I have been warned away from armour or any T3 supplements due to it being "a short-term fix which wouldn't last".  Would someone on armour for more than 2 years please share their dosage and symptom improvments over time?
I am in the process of seeing my doctor about switching to Armour since I have been on synthroid now for more than 6 years and am tired of being tired.  I had Radioactive Iodine given to me in 2000 so I am looking for something that can make me feel better than I have on the synthroid.  I can tell you tho that it is important to keep copies of your labs so you know when your labs come back if you were feeling good or bad at that level.  I have been on many different doses of synthroid in these years so it can change off and on depending on what the labs say....  I keep saying "labs" because all my endos and drs seem to go on the side of lab results rather than "how I feel".  I am now going through a rough spot and will see the dr on Friday and hopefully she can give me something to make me feel normal again.....
You need to look at your thyroid blood test took at the time you felt great. compare the one taking now to see if they are any differences.  The previous poster is 100% correct. your blood test history is very important,  I charted mine on a big piece paper for years, that have all dates, all test numbers, meds/suppliments I was taking at that time, how did I feel, any symptoms, etc.  Believe me, your doctor will like that chart very much.  About synthroid and armour, different stories from different people, if your FT3 is normal (I prefer at upper 1/3 of  the range), then armour may not help you.