Thyroid Disorders Community
Synthroid vs. Generic what can I expect?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Sorry for all of the questions, but I'm trying to learn as much as possible as quickly as possible.  Thanks to those of you have taken the time to answer them.

When I left the hospital after my TT I had a prescription for levothyroxine filled at the hospital.
When this months supply runs out, I plan on switching over to synthroid, my doctor recommends the name brand (and gave me a sample box) and I am lucky  that my prescription plan makes it very affordable.  
Here are my questions:
1.  should I stop taking the generic now and switch over?
2.  if i stick with the generic for the next 2 weeks am i messing my system up?
3. what, if anything can i expect from the switch over

thanks for taking the time to listen to a nervous newbie.
:)

be well!
The exact same thing happened to me.  My surgeon gave me a script and the drug store gave me the generic.  I didn't feel that well on it.  When I went to the Endo he said no generic and gave me Synthroid.  I switched after 2 weeks on the generic and didn't notice much difference.  Frankly, I don't feel great on either but that is another story.
I started taking levothroyxine last Friday, 22nd Aug, and began having a touch of diarrhea about 8 hours after starting the med.  Today, Wed, 27th, has been the worse day.  Called the dr and he changed me to Synthroid.  Just now picked it up, so hope that stops the problem.  I would much rather have a NON generic anyway.  I just don't think generic is the same as others.  Why are they cheaper if they are the same?  I know my blood pressure med is not the same as generic.  Pharmacy gave me generic one month and my blood pressure went up and stayed till I got it refilled.  I had them put on my record...never give me generic for blood pressure again.  All was fine after that.
So, hope this Synthroid works better.
Joyce
thanks for the input!

i guess i'll finish out the generic prescription  & then move onto and stay with the synthroid.
the price difference is minimal, so i may as well stay with the name brand.