Thyroid Disorders Community
Synthroid with vitamins

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Synthroid with vitamins

I heard that Vitamin B-12, B6 and Vitamin D is really good for Thyroid dysfunction. I am taking synthroid medication,   Do any of those vitamins have any interactions with they medication, and if not, when is a good time to take them.
We have no know cases of vitamin supplements interfering with Synthroid through the feedback from our Foundation. I use several vitamins, some you might add and find useful.

B-6 is great for metabolic help, B-12 & D can help with related issues. Focusing on thyroid supplements only, they would be Vitamin A first (almost all thyroid disease and dysfunctionals need vitamin A supplement to assist in nutrition), B-6, C, E (I'm a male and want to keep my hair), and Zinc. All of these can positively affect your health and attitude.

I take mine every morning right along with my meds.

Good Luck!!!
What is a good amount of each of these vitamins to take? I already take 2000mg of B12 daily per doctors instructions, and "testing" 100,000 units of vitamin D once a week.

I do know that B-6 and interfere with B12, I was told that I should take B12 and not a multi-complex B vitamin since some B vitamins can cause B12 to not be absorbed as much as if taken alone.
The vitamins you mentioned don't do anything to improve thyroid function, per se.  Deficiency of some of these vitamins often goes hand in hand with hypo/Hashi's, and of course, we all need a balance of vitamins/minerals in order to feel well.  

Fat soluble vitamins, such as A and D, can be toxic is taken in large quantities.  It's always a good idea to get tested prior to beginning supplementation.

All vitamins and minerals should be taken at least 4 hrs from your thyroid medication to prevent them from inhibiting absorption of the thyroid medication.  If you take both the thyroid med and vitamins at the same time, you may need a higher dose due to less absorption of the medication. Vitamins taken sublingually, or via shots (B12) would not affect absorption of the thyroid med, since these methods send the vitamins do not go through the stomach to be digested and metabolized.

Selenium is a good mineral for thyroid issues; studies have shown that it may help with the conversion of FT4 (the storage hormone) to FT3 (the active thyroid hormone).
As to dosage, it's not an exact science. To determine my best levels I needed help from a dietician and a nutritionist. I take a lot of C - 1000 IU which is double the "standard unit" size, which also aids in my sinus problems, 400 IU of E. I require both mycelized vitamin A - 2 drops per day, and 1 50 IU (or standard dosage off the shelf) gel tablet. I will have to look at the dosages for Zinc and B-6 but will report back. I have had no luck with selenium, but some have. The effects of metabolic disorders are not uniform among people so some things will work for others, and not for some.

A nutrionist and/or your doc can advise you on timing meds as I take mine at the same time as I take medication and that's been medically cleared. A simple mineral panel will tell you quickly where you stand on any vitamin deficiencies.

A great article on vitamins assisting the thyroid's immune system role can be found at:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Vitamins-Underactive-Thyroid

As a former hyperthyroid, I can tell you that vitamins had little effect in my overall health until the Hashimoto's took over and I swung to the hypo side. I took it from your post your were probably either hypo or had had a thyroidectomy.

Hope this helps
I read here that you are supposed to wait 4hrs to take vitamins from when you take Synthroid, which is what I do anyway. My question is can I take other medications other than vitamins or any supplements? My doctor said I can wait 30mins or take it together.  I'm not sure what to do. I take Plaquinil, Gabapentin(Neurontin), xanax and a baby asperin in the morning.
I am not familiar enough with 2 of your meds to make a comment even in generality. Fors sure, you can read the package inserts to see if there's any ascorbic (vitamin based) interference with them that is known. This is a great thing to do with any med you are prescribed anyway.

I also believe people metabolize external vitamin dosages differently. The better quality vitamins today are all "time release" in nature, specifically so they do not interfere with other medications. This concentration of efforts by both drug and vitamin manufacturers (sometimes one and the same) began back in the mid 1980's with the advent of home testing for diabetes and the known interference with vitamin c. Since the last 25 years, this has been greatly improved for almost all users.

Finally, if you can't find the answer you feel comfortable with either through the package insert or on the internet and feel your meds could be affected, a phone call to the MA at the doctor's office will tell you a lot as well as a call to your local pharmacist.