Thyroid Disorders Community
T3 aha moment

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

T3 aha moment

Dear all

For months been taking T3 the generic version of Cytomel - these were given to me in 20mcg tablets.  I split the tablet into 4 and then even split each 1/4 into half as well.  I kept on feeling worse and worse.  Silly me never thought of the fact that most of the time I was getting filler into my system and not really any of the hormone.  I then managed to buy Cytomel the brand name in 5mcg and splitting the pill in half to take one part at 7am and the other at 11am means that per day I now get the dosage my body requires.  I can not believe the difference.  My energy is much better.  Since I do have a conversion issue also take Thyro-CNV (K-9) 3 times a day since my T3 levels are really low.  I also discovered that we may

also often have a Vitamin K2 shortage with thyroid problems and rather than using a supplement make a smoothie high in K2 nutrients.  1 and a 1/4 cup of home made Kefir or Buttermilk (the Butrate is very healthy) 2 tablespoons of Coconut oil, 2 raw egg yolks (slit the egg open so that you use just the yolk and not the little film bag that you see, Natto (optional) if you can find it - fermented soy in Japanese stores, berries frozen ones or fresh ones but important that they have been frozen for two weeks or more since it ensures that no worms or any bacteria is there, Maple Syryp to taste or Stevia and blend all together to make a smoothie - not only high in K2 but also Kefir contains more than 10 different types of flora - excellent for the gut.  Since introducing fermented products into my diet find my gut health to be way better - no more constipation and it is a powerful drink good for protection against infections.

Thus
1 and 1/4 cup Kefir or Buttermilk or yoghurt
2 egg yolks
2 tablespoons of coconut oil
Natto (optional)
Stevia or Maple Syrup
Berries or fruit of choice
Blend the fruit and then add the rest of the ingredients and blend.
I
I'm happy to hear that you are doing so much better; yes, I can see that splitting the T3 pills that many times would not give you much actual med.  I'm on 5 mcg daily - generic cytomel.  I take the whole pill about 7:00 am; am tired by evening, but since I go to bed around 7:00 pm, I do well.

Your smoothie sounds quite good.  I often use 1 cup of regular (skim or 2% milk), along with frozen fruit, a few ice cubes and some stevia to make a smoothie.  

I'm not familiar with kefir, but I've seen it in my grocery store; will have to check it out.

There are a lot of other foods high in vitamin K2 also, such as kale, turnip greens, mustard greens, spinach, steamed broccoli, romaine lettuce, etc.

I might caution you on the use of soy products.  Soy tends to inhibit the absorption of thyroid med(s), so you may not be getting the full benefit of your med.  

Dear Barb

Thanks soooo much - am aware of the Soy and that is why I am not using it but then thought someone out there may know if it will still be the same when it has gone through the fermentation process.  Kefir is excellent for flora and best is to get a natural culture - if not you can buy a Kefir starter.  I also read that we have to cook the vegetables with an oil like Ghee, butter or coconut oil for the vegies to have optimum K2 properties.

Blessings and really appreciate your comments a lot