Thyroid Disorders Community
T3 and Cortef help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

T3 and Cortef help

I have been taking compounded T3 (7.5 mcg- two pills- twice per day-12 hrs apart) for about 11 days. My temperatures haven't changed much. Does anyone know how long it takes to feel good when using T3?
I have also begin taking Cortef twice a day- 7.5mg in the morning and 5 mg at noon. I am taking the Cortef to increase my cortisol levels. My saliva test results were:

6:00 to 8:00 a.m. 6 Depressed 13-24 nM
11:00 to Noon 10 Normal                   5-10nM
4:00 to 5:00 p.m. 3 Normal                   3-8 nM
10:00 to Midnight 7 Elevated                   1-4 nM
DHEA                1 Depressed 3-10 ng/ml

Has anyone had any luck using T3 and cortef to feel better from hypothyroidism?
Are you sure you are not on a T3/T4 compound med? If not that's fine - but not sure about your labs to really know.

You are suppressed on morning adrenals. but the 4-5 test is bad too. so is the 10pm test.

Your cortef is tricky with thyroid medication. Rule of thumb is for most the adrenals MUST be in line before thyroid meds do their job correctly.

I think you need to go back and talk more with the meds and adrenals right now.

cortef does nothing for hypothyroidism.
No its just plain T3. I was on levoxyl but due to a high reverse T3 test my doctor decided to try T3 since the T4 wasn't working. I have considered trying to gete a T3/T4 combination...but was gonna see how this does first. I've been taking it since Oct 23rd so really not that long.
We've been struggling trying to calm down my adrenals and get them strong enough bc I'd tried armour and it made my heart pound so hard and I'd be sweaty etc. so we knew from that that my adrenals were probably still shot even though I'd been taking adrenal cortex supplements for several weeks.
I'm hoping the cortef will help my adrenals along with the adrenal cortex. Hopefully this will make the T3 able to do its job. All I know to do for now is keep trying until my  next appointment!

Thanks for your reply!
I was going to see if you had a RT3 issue. That explains the T3 direct. I assume it is synthetic meds too.

OK - If you have the RT3 factor issue then most certainly your adrenals are stressed. The cortef will support them along with your support supplement.

My suggestion is to look into a sea salt drink too - with high levels of Vit C added in too. This brings on a protective barrier for the adrenals to let the cortef do it job right.

Watch it though - you don't want to over stimulate the adrenals either.

On the Armour - I think you failed more on it - because of the reformulation of it. Many suffered the heart palps when they changed it. I did personally and got off it ASAP.

With your RT3 - being on T3 is right - you need to retest on 6 to 8 weeks thyroid labs ( give the cortef time to do its job) and see where the RT3 - FT3 and FT4 are at. I bet you would be stable then. In 6 to 8 weeks you may want to use a combo med for thyroid if you are still low. Small dose to start and avoid the Armour. You may like Naturethroid instead.
The T3 I'm on was specially made at a compounding pharmacy so it's not Cytomel.

Where can I find more information about the sea salt drink? I've never heard of that.

Yeh I was wondering if that's why the Armour didn't work for me. I was so excited when I got my first dose..I thought yayy I'm finally going to feel better, but instead I felt like I was on speed or something! It was such a disappointment.

Thanks for all your help! I'm going to send you a friend request bc I think you are a great resource and have been really helpful! :) Take care!
Ahhhh - then you are on sustained/extended release T3.  That makes sense now,

You can google up sea salt and adrenals - that should give you a ton of information to look over.