THS .581 T3 1.2 T4 1.3
My Son 18 has been recently tested for Thyroid "issues". I, his Mom have Grave's Disease. My Thyroid was removed about 6 yrs ago and I am doing perfectly fine on my daily hormone replacement.  As mentioned above his levels seem "OK" to his doctor by I myself don't think so.  He has to many other symptoms: Heart palpatations, pulse fast, shaky hands, increased perspiration, losing weight, nervous energy, loose stools; diarrhea, nervous, irritable, chronic insomnia, exhausted, depression, restless, anxious, panic attacks, moods change easily, feelings of worthlessness, can't concentrate, feelings of sadness, no intrest in daily activities, forgetful, shortness of breath, eyes feel gritty; dry, sensitive to light, eyes are jumpy, dizzy, strange feeling in throat, ringing in the ears, recurrent sinus infections, vertigo, lightheadedness.  TSH .0581, T4 1.3, T3 1.2.  All other blood tests came out normal.  What else can this be, what other tests can we get?  Please help.  Thank you.

What are the Labs reference range for all three?
Honestly I don't know.  How do I find this out? What do I ask for?

You have also printed two different TSH numbers. The title  of your post says that your son's TSH is .581 and the body of your post says it's .0581. Whatever the lab ranges turn out to be, those likely represent different states of the thyroid funciton.
Sorry "kitcurious" you are correct, I did make that error.  The correct TSH level is .581
GravesLady - what I do know is that TSH ranges from .7 - 5.7 / T3 ranges from .8 - 2.4 and T4 ranges from .6 - 2.0
I meant the doc and the AACE said .3-3.0    LOL
They may have narrowed it more lately but that's what I recall.
No problem, just wasn't sure. Thanks for the clarification.

It depends on the lab used and the doctor as well.

Labcorp starts at about .5  and ends at 5.5 . So it needs to be the range from the actual lab used.

The docs differ too. The doc on this forum has said his desirable range is something like .30-3.0. I think that's what the AACE recommends.
My current TSH is .169 and my endo is keeping my meds where they are for now, though he admits it's a little hyper, he suspects it's fluctuaing because I am so early in my treatment (couple months).

Graveslady is very knowlegeable about this, so she is a great person to get an opinion from.

Good luck!!
Thank you.  I am trying to find out something, anything.  I am so worried about my Son.  He feels so awful everyday.  I know how he feels, I was there myself.  His symptoms are similar to what I experienced but his seem to be alot worse.

Thank you again.
If you are very sure your son has Graves make sure they test him for the whole thyroid panel and the antibodies as well. If your doctor is not adequately explaining to you why he/she is so sure everything is fine, seek another opinion. It will make you feel better and I know what it is to be a mom and worried about your son.
I am new to this whole thing ( diagnosed in May) but I get the impression that some people with thyroid problems go through different stages sometimes and their TSH can fluctuate so that it may test borderline one day and be something else the next time..
Be sure to ask the doc what else he should be testing for, if it's not Graves, because it's surely something.

Graveslady knows all about Graves and thyroid issues...she is the best source.
First off, the mentioned AACE TSH 0.3-3.0 is only a target range for after being diagnosed and on treatment with meds.  It is not a diagnose level.  Also there are different diagnose levels for different thyroid issues.  Hyper diagnose levels are different then hypo's diagnose levels.

Per US Government guidelines, Graves' TSH 0.1 or lower with very high FTs.  We can have the antibodies but it doesn't necessarily mean we are Graves'.  Levels are the controlling factors.

Per US Government guidelines, treatment for subclinical hyperthyroidism (Low TSH with normal FTs) Graves' or nodular thyroid disease with TSH 0.1 or lower.  

Per US Government guidelines, Subclinical hyperthyroidism, recommends against routine treatment for all patients with TSH 0.1 to 0.45.

Therefore, true thyroid disease is  not seen with TSH values
between 0.1 and 0.4 mU/L

Your sons levels seems to be way within these guidelines.

Primary hyperthyroidism  thyroid gland that is over-functioning because of some problem other than excess TSH with normal FTs such as
various nonthyroidal illnesses (euthyroid sick syndrome), or the administration of dopamine, glucocorticoids, and possibly dobutamine, including anorexia nervosa. Therefore your sons symptoms could be from other conditions and further investigations might be needed.

However, you could  redo test to confirmation, because it could be Lab error. If this turns up questionable again, then try another lab. And if that is questionable,  have him test on a regular bases because right now he might be in beginning stages of thyroid condition to where it does not show in labs right now,  but might later in time. Plus Graves' runs in the family, however I am the only one in my family with Graves', the rest are hypothyroid.  He also could be in the first stages of Hashi.

You also can get a second opinion. Preferably by an endo who deals with many thyroid patients per year.

Dietary changes, including the addition of goitrogens, reducing iodine consumption and stress reduction techniques are particularly beneficial.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but on the other hand, I'm not a doctor.

Good Luck.

Hello GravesLady, Thank you so much for your insite.  I am reading everything I can.  Since I got onto this chat, I have learned more than I thought I would.  I am going to have my Son checked for Adrenal Fatigue.  He has been under alot of stress for the past few years, his Dad's health and some other stressfull issues that he had to deal with.  (Alot more than a young adult should have to deal with).  

Thank you to everyone who contributed your thoughts and knowledge.