Thyroid Disorders Community
THYROID -REDUCING MEDICATION

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

THYROID -REDUCING MEDICATION

Hey Everyone,
It's been two and a half years since my son was diagnosed with hyperthyroidsm.  He has been on Neomercazole  90mg for two weeks while in acute stage and then dropped down to 10mg per day and has been on that ever since then. His dose was  taken at midday -2 tablets of 5mg each day.  His Endo said that he can come off the medication after 18 months.  But when he was first diagnosed I read on this forum that going off abruptly will not result in permanent remission. His Endo said to "just go off the meds and not to worry about gradual reduction".  Has anyone got advice on how he should reduce.  Eg. go on 5mg per day - or 10mg one day and 5mg the next and alternate.  Any advice would be much appreciated.
You should get instructions from his doctor, and if you don't trust the doctor's opinion, find one you do trust.
You need to find out from your doctor (a doctor) what the cause of the hyperthyroidism is as there are various causes, only one of which can go into remission.

I was on methimazole twice and, both times, discontinued usage without tapering.   In saying that, I was under medical control and having regular blood tests.   I really suggest you try to find out what caused the hyperthyroidism and then you can research and have a good discussion with your Endo about outcomes, both short and long-term.   If you don't want to change doctors, his nurse should be able to furnish you with blood test results/reasons and answer your question about tapering.
Hey Kristina - We did ask about the causes and he looked at us like we are stupid - he said "it just happens".  What sort of causes are there?
Oh wow, I'm not really the person to ask as most of my research has gone into my own condition..   I was hyper thyroid because of an over-active nodule that was producing too much hormone which, I'm pretty sure, would not relate to children.

I do know of transient thyroiditis which can have many causes (perhaps that's what your specialist believes it is) and, of course, Graves disease.   I googled 'juvenille hyperthyroid' and there was an array of results.  You could also google transient thyroiditis in juvenilles.  

Doctors will do an antibody test to check whether Graves disease is a factor, which is why it's important to get copies of all blood tests, but, once again, I don't know whether this relates to babies...  (Barb 135 above has listed the antibody tests in many of her posts for the auto-immune disorders like Graves and Hahimotos).

Don't they just 'floor' you with comments like 'it just happens' -  I sometimes think some doctors really know when you're the most vulnerable, which is when something affects our children;   hope you can get googling!!   Knowledge is power :) - my Doctor actually listens to my opinion now (but still manages to 'floor' me sometimes when he's having a bad day).   Good luck - I  hope it's 'transient' and that all goes well.
Sorry - I meant to add that 'transient' thyroiditis, I believe, can go into remission after a cause of anti-thyroid meds - I would still want to have regular blood tests to ensure he's all okay for a while if you can't determine the cause.
Graves was mentioned.  So maybe that's what it is.
My son is now mid 20's so not a kid anymore.
Thanks for all your help - I will keep researching.