Thyroid Disorders Community
THYROID MEDICATION AND GLUCOSE INTOLERANCE?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I recently started thyroid medication and I am gaining weight day by day. I am always hungry. Does thyroid medication worsen insulin resistance/ glucose intolerance?
I agree with what Barb has said.  I would also add that the thyroid med is not a likely contributor to the weight gain, if you had questions about that.  It is possible that your thyroid hormone levels are not adequate to get your metabolism to the right level for you.  If you will please post your thyroid test results, and their reference ranges shown on the lab report, members will be glad to assess the adequacy of your testing and test levels.
Both the thyroid and pancreas are part of the endocrine system and all hormones must be synchronized within the body.  When one has an autoimmune disease (if you do), it's quite possible that you will get another; however, insulin resistance (or type II diabetes) is not an autoimmune disease.  I don't think your thyroid medication should affect your insulin resistance very much.

Most likely, your problem has more to do with what you are eating, than the fact that you are taking thyroid medication.

If you are eating foods high in simple carbs (starchy/sugary), you often get a pattern started.  You get hungry, eat something that raises your blood sugar, but doesn't stay with you very long, causing your blood sugar to drop, which makes you feel hungry, so, again, you eat something that raises your blood sugar quickly, but doesn't stay with you -- this becomes vicious circle.  I've been in it many times.

Try eating foods that have a lot of fiber (complex carbs), which takes longer to break down in the body and will keep your blood sugar more stable.

Thank you both for your responses. I will watch my carb intake.
These are my results
T3:2,9
T4: 1
TSH:5,339
Antibodies:1,19
As you see is subclinical hypothyroidism.

These are my results
T3:2,9
T4: 1
TSH:5,339
Antibodies:1,19
We really need to know the reference ranges sown on the lab report to fully evaluate your test results; however, if the ranges are close to those I am familiar with, then it is not subclinical at all.  Your Free T3 is low in the range I expect, along with your Free T4.  Your TSH is over even the old range of .5 - 5.0

If you will post the reference ranges, members can provide further advice on treatment.
Are those Free T3 and Free T4, or Total? That makes a difference, as well.  
Results       Ranges
T3   2,9               1,7-3,7
T4   1              0,7-1,48
TSH   5,339     0,350-4,940
Antibodies 1,19         0-5,61
I think the T3 and T4 values are free values.
So you mentioned that it is not subclinical?
Do you have any other of the 26 typical hypothyroid symptoms listed in this link?  

http://endocrine-system.emedtv.com/hypothyroidism/hypothyroidism-symptoms-and-signs.html

Of course weight can be associated with calorie intake and exercise as well as or metabolism; however, if you are having other hypo symptoms, then that would make me suspicious about your metabolism and your thyroid levels.  Subclinical really doesn't apply since you are already taking thyroid meds.  

Also, what thyroid med are you taking and how much daily?
I am taking levothyroxine 25 daily. I am eating the same amount and doing the same exercise as before I started the medication, that is why I am worried about weight gain. My period is also delayed after taking the medication (my period was very regular each month). Among the symptoms in the link you sent me, these are the ones I had
•  Feeling tired (fatigue) and sluggishness
•  Constipation
•  Increased sensitivity to cold
•  Dry, thinning, or coarse hair
•  Decreased sweating
•  Depression
•  Difficulty catching your breath (severe shortness of breath) when exercising
With those symptoms, I'd say that you are still hypothyroid, due to your Free T3 and Free T4 being too low in their ranges.  A good thyroid doctor will treat a hypo patient clinically by testing and adjusting Free T3 and Free T4 as necessary to relieve symptoms, without being constrained by resultant TSH levels.  Symptom relief should be all important, not just test results.  Test results are valuable mainly as indicators during diagnosis and afterward to track FT3 and FT4 as meds are being revised to relieve symptoms.

If you want to read more about clinical treatment, this is a good link.  

http://hormonerestoration.com/files/ThyroidPMD.pdf

Based on my own experience, once symptoms are relieved, including low metabolism, then you should see beneficial effects on your weight, to a level where your calorie intake becomes balanced with your exercise and metabolic rate.   After that it is up to you, but at least you won't be fighting an uphill battle against a low metabolism at that point.
Thank you for the link. Since I started the medication I do feel more energy, a little less depressed and the constipation I has improved.
You are right, what is important is that symptoms are relieved, more than the lab tests results.