Thyroid Disorders Community
TIROSINT

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

TIROSINT

I had my doctor prescribe Tirosint and am on 75 MCG.  I have been reading these post for sometime now.  I think Laura1967 and Barb135 are on Tirosint.

Laura and Barb can you please give me an update on how your doing on the new drug.  Thanks so much
Bump.....anyone???
Sorry, I've not been online much the past couple of days......... I'm doing very well on Tirosint.  

Can you post your most recent thyroid labs, along with reference ranges, since these vary from lab to lab?  

How long have you been on the Tirosint?
These are my ranges from April thru Oct
In April I was on NatureThroid and I just started Tirosint today, November 10th.  On the last test (Oct 29) he forgot to do the Free T3 and T4.  I was not doing very well on NatureThroid, it was either too much or too little and just hard to regulate.  I do not have Grave nor Hashi.  I had an RAI about 7 years ago b/c I was a little hyper.  If I had know what I know today, I definitely do not think I should have had the RAI and was only trusting the doctor to do what's best.  Big mistake.

Range       Apr-2010      Jul-30       Sep-14       Oct-29
TSH 3rd Generation (0.4 - 4.50)         1.36          0.26          0.01            0.01

T4 (Thyroxine) Total (4.8 - 10.4)          9          5.5             7.7

• Free T4 Index        (0.8 - 1.8)         2.8          0.7           1.2

T3 Total               (76 - 181)         91             116            233            271

Free T3 Index        (230 - 420)                              274

T3 Uptake             (22 - 35)         31          32

RT3 (Reverse T3)   (11 - 32)           14              23

Thyroglobulin Antibodies (<20)           <20          <20

Thyroid Peroxidase Anti (<35)       <10          <10

Thyroglobulin        (2.0 - 35.0)                                0.2

Hope you can shed some light on my lab results.  Thanks.
Let me make sure I understand your situation:  You just started, today (11/10) on the Tirosint?  So these labs would have been taken while you were on NatureThroid?  

Just for your info, total T3 and Total T4 are considered obsolete and have very little diagnostic value; you might want to ask your doctor to save you the $ and not request them anymore, but be sure to continue with the Free T3 and Free T4 tests......

Your labs suggest that you could definitely benefit from some changes, but now that you are going to an entirely different med, you will need to wait until you've been on it for a few weeks, then get retested to see where your levels are.

I noticed a difference in the way I felt within a few days of beginning Tirosint; and I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I can't give a guarantee that you do as well on the Tirosint, as I've done. It will be interesting to see how you do, but there isn't much more I can say until you've been retested on the Tirosint.......

Just remember that Tirosint is a T4 only med, so even if you don't feel well right away, doesn't mean the med isn't working; it could just mean that you need to add a T3 med with it.  I'm on 100 mcg Tirosint + 5 mcg T3 med........

Wishing you the best of luck, and will look forward to seeing your results in a few weeks.  

Barb, I'm sorry I had not been following up on this thread frequently to post my blood results.  I just wanted to give myself enough time before I came back to post.  Back in November when you last reply to my last post, I took your suggestion and waited 5-6 weeks to see how I responded to the Tirosint 75mcg.  I did feel better, but know that I needed an increase due to the range, which I did increase to 88mcg in December and then to 100mcg in April.  Here are my results for those 3 blood tests.

75mcg        88mcg        100mcg
                                   Range         Dec 16       March 10     May 20
TSH 3rd Generation (0.4 - 4.50)         1.42            0.829         Did not do
Free 4                     (0.8 - 1.8)           1.1             1.13           1.42
Free 3                    (2.3 - 4.2)             2.7             2.7            3.0
Vitamin D               (20 - 100)             67              108            73
Vitamin B12            (200 - 1100)         861             923          1051
Magnesium             (1.6 - 2.6)           N/A              N/A          2.2

My RT3, Thyroglobulin Antibodies, Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies and Thyroglobulin are all in range (nothing out of the ordinary here).  Between 75 mcg and 88 mcg time frame, I did add 5mcg cytomel split in 2 doses, but did not like the feeling, so I discontinued after 4 days and just continue strictly with T4 med.  I am still feeling better and would like to try 2.5 Cytomel again.  My F4 is 1.42 (at 75% would be 1.5) and F3 is 3.0 (at 75% would be 3.6).  At 88 mcg Tisosint, the pain in my shoulder and arm really subsided and general aches and pain slowly diminished.  Now on 100 mcg there is now tingling in my hands, more on the left than right.  I don't remember if I had mentioned this earlier or not in 2010, I had quit smoking and Novermber 23, 2010 completed 1 year quiting and presently have not looked back.  Shortly after quitting, I totally crashed and Synthroid 75 mcg had stopped working for me after so many year (8) and I had the tingling and numbness only in the left hand but after experimenting with NatureThroid that tingling went away.  Even when I was on 88 mcg Tirosint, the hands were find; now it's back with 100 mcg.

With my range doing a little better on this last results, I was expecting the lose some weight, but have not.  I do advance steps 3 days/wk, walk/run 2 days/wk and in between strength training and resistant bands.  I think I'm doing more than average exercise.  I wear a heart rate monotor during my step class and my heart rate averages between 150 - 165 each time, which I think is normal even in my younger days (am 55 years now)

I take my Tirosint at 5 AM daily and vitamins during the day, far away from my Tirosint, so there is hinderance there.  I get up between 7 - 7.30 AM then have coffee.

I have never had a sugar problem before in my life.  Now this blood results says I'm border line diabetic.  I'm on a low carb, eating lots of salad and protein hardly any rice/bread.  I use Splenda in my coffee and I drink lots of water in between.  Dessert is never a must for me, only occasionally at parties.  My total cholesterol has gone up 225 (Range <200) LDL also up 154 (Range <130).  I know that thyroid meds can cause that to go up but the sugar part is baffling.

I'm at wits end on what to do and would love yours or anyone's expertise please.  Anxiously awaiting your response.  Do you think I should do a 13 mcg increase on the T4 and add 2.5 T3?

I'm on this stuff too.  I can't compare it to anything really.  The only thing I remember about the synthroid is that it didn't hit me right away. This stuff hits me hard about 30 mins after I take it.

Neat packaging. Lol
Bumping.  Any advice anyone?  Thanks.
My opinion is that FT4 level is fine.  I would want to gradually increase the FT3 level into the upper part of the range, as necessary to relieve symptoms..
Thanks Brucergoldberg and Gimel.  I will be adding 2.5 Cytomel starting tomorrow morning when I get up and see how I feel, hoping that I won't feel anxious.  Since I won't be decreasing the T4, I'm hoping that this won't mess up my T4 range too much.  Wish me luck and Thanks again!
I'm kind of in a rush right now, so can't fully respond to your post; however, I might suggest that you hold off on the cytomel until later in the day.  I take my Tirosint at 3:15 am, but don't take my T3 med (5 mcg) until about 7:00-7:30........ if you are only going to take 2.5 mcg, and you take it at 5:00 in the morning, it will be worn off by noon - or earlier, since T3 med is fast acting and used up quickly.  

Some of us have to work really hard at getting rid of that weight that "jumped" onto our bodies.............. I know I do!!  
Thanks Barb, I will take your wise suggestion.  
I am on Tirosint, 100 mcg and LOVE it... I was on Levothroid, but my eyes were often puffy, like I had been crying, and I was often still tired, my bp went up to 135/80 ish and seemed to have multiple issues on Levothroid.
So I was switched to Tirosint, and without a week I felt so much better.  No more puffy eyes, my bp dropped back to my "normal range of 105-70 ish.
I was a little annoyed as when I asked my doctor to put me on the most NATURAL thyroid meds he put me on Levothroid, and then come to find out Tirosint is much more natural without the fillers etc.