Thyroid Disorders Community
TSH, 3RD Generation test

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

TSH, 3RD Generation test

I had a TSH, 3RD Generation test done 10/05/10  and the results was .80, is this normal.
Yes, the 0.80 for TSH is "normal".  That doesn't, however, guarantee that you don't have a thyroid issue.  

Have you been diagnosed with something?  If so, what?  Are you on thyroid med? If so, what med and what dose?

Have they done tests, other than TSH, such as Free T3 and Free T4, antibodies, etc?

What, if any, symptoms do you have?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but this is all helpful information.
I have iron problems so I get shots for that.  No thyroid medicine and I only had the TSH 3RD generation test.  My symptoms are joint pain and my whole body hurts.  Weight gain, heavy periods,hair is falling out.  I was told that is normal with age.  I'm only 42 and this has been going on for years.  There may be more symptoms I don't know this has become normal for so I just live with it.  My test in 09 showed everything normal as well it was 1.12.  I'm guessing it's all in my head.  Thank you very much.
It may not be all in your head! TSH is not a good screening test in the face of your symptoms - which should be takeen seriously and further investigated.

Please ask your doctor to test for FT3 and FT4 (these are the active thyroid hormones, rather than TSh which is an indirect measure).  If FT3 and FT4 are middle of the normal range or better then they are likely normal, then there may be some other cause for how you feel.
Thank you all for the help, I go back to the doctors this Friday and I will request further testing.  I will let everyone know the results.  Thanks again