Thyroid Disorders Community
TSH, T4, T3, and FT4 Levels

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

TSH, T4, T3, and FT4 Levels

Hi, I originally went to the doctor due to my nails - a pink band appeared at the top on all finger nails (not toes), which I later realized was the detachment of the nail from the nail bed. I was sent to a dermatologist, who shrugged and gave me some antiseptic cream. They continued to separate from the nail bed, and I became aware of Hypothyroidism and found that I had a lot of the symptoms:
- below average temperature (97 average)
- constantly cold
- numbness (in feet)
- separation of nails from nail bed
- thinning of hair and increased loss of hair (in shower)
- extreme fatigue (12+ hours of sleep/day with 2 hour naps)
- frequent infection (sinus)
- general depression and random teariness
- excessive joint pain (from simple tasks that don't pain others)
- constipation
- dry skin
- heartburn & acid reflux

My test results are the following:
TSH = 2.43
T4 = 8.1
T3 = 1.02
Free T4 = 1.21

I was told that these were normal and I therefore didn't have hypothyroidism.
I'm willing to accept this ruling, but in the mean time I'm waiting on an appointment with an endocrinologist. My nails continue to separate further from the nail bed and I'm desperate for a cause. It seems that I fit perfectly into the symptoms of hypothyroidism and I've heard that some people exhibit symptoms without having distinguishably irregular levels; and that some people's normal levels are different, therefore the standard norm may be irregular for a person. Do my results relay any possibility that I could have hypothyroidism?
Thank you so much for your consideration.
hi - even though your TSH is cosidered "normal" it still could be considered a little on the high side.  My dr has told me that we want TSH to be <2.  Mine was 4.52 originally and has gone to .32 (taking 60mg of Armour) and has now been between 1 - 1.5.  Did you have antibodies checked?  That will indicate if you have Hashimoto's.  Also, what are the reference ranges for your labs?  Has your dr checked for any other type of illness that this could be related to?  It could be something else besides thyroid - I have never heard of or experienced that nail thing, but that is just me - maybe other have.  All of your other symptoms do sound like hypothyroidism though.  When my TSH was first tested and 4.2, my biggest symptoms were awful splitting, pounding headaches, and absolutely NO appetite - I literally did not want to eat - prob cause metabolism had slowed down so much.  Those have gone away since taking Armour.  I would suggest further testing, talking to your doc, or possibly finding another one
hi,i was supperring for a abnormal heart rate,palpitation,loose weight,tremors and other possibilities syntoms of having a grave disease but when i checked to the doctor about my condition,he adviced me to have a FT4 and TSH test...the result was FT4-20.45 and TSH-0.897.the doctor said that is normal and i dont have a thyroid dis order..but im not tottally satisfied about the findings,because of how i feel and sufferrring for it until now...please help me about this...thank you