Thyroid Disorders Community
TSH .020... and that's an improvement

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

TSH .020... and that's an improvement

What does this mean? I was diagnosed hypothyroid a year ago. I started on .75mg synthroid and .025mcg cytomel. I was healthy for about a month last summer but since then my hair has fallen out, weight is a BIG problem (especially as I am a fitness instructor) and I am trying to tell people to follow me down the path of fitness and healthy eating but I look and feel terrible. I want to make sure I am heading in the right direction., My T4 is 1.38, my TSH has gone from so low it was immeasurable to .020. It has improved because my current doctor took me off my .025mcg cytomel. Today he decreased my synthroid from .75mg to .5mg. I do feel much better and have been able to increase my calorie intake from 850 to 1250 calories/day. Will I continue to improve? Please help! Is this the right way to go?  
No, treating the TSH is not the right way. Treating the FT4 and FT3 levels is the right way. My TSH is a 0.01. TSH is a pituitary hormone, not a thyroid hormone. I am wondering why no FT3 testing? FreeT3 is the active thyroid hormone. Testing those FT3 levels should be first before taking you off of Cytomel.

Also, many hypos (and I'm assuming you have Hashimoto's and have had the TGab and TPOab antibody tests) will also have adrenal fatigue. Get the 24 hour saliva test to confirm.

Finally, I do not eat gluten. It worsens my condition and many Hashis do well without it. Since giving it up, I've cut my dependency on thryoid hormone by 1/3.  I also avoid soy, as it binds to the thryoid hormone and flushes it out. Be aware that dairy, corn, sugar, yeast and eggs (casein) might also affect the Hashi patient.

:) Tamra

:) Tamra

Please help! I have not been tested for Hashimoto's. I have not had any of these tests. I know that the last few days I have deteriorated again in mood, weight and my hair has gotten much worse (falling out in clumps in the shower). I can't keep playing this game as I am losing my mind! I KNOW I am not hyperthyroid as I have NEVER had a symptom of it. I had a bmr test (for my metabolism) and my body burns 821 calories/day at rest. The administrator had no explanation for me and told me to see my doctor. What tests do I ask for? I would like to go in with a specific request to get a complete picture. Thank you for the advice about the eggs (I eat them regularly and will try to limit my intake of them) I don't consume any sugar but natural ones from fruit, I am lactose intolerant so I don't consume dairy products but I do take a daily calcium, vitamin D, magnesium supplement and as for yeast, I have never really looked but I generally don't eat bread or pasta, but I do eat steel cut oats for breakfast every morning. From there it is plain greek yogurt, salad (a lot of salad, lol!) topped with salsa and a serving of fish, pork or chicken. If I needed a snack it was a hard boiled egg in the afternoon, but I will limit that to a couple of times a week instead of almost every day. I just don't know what to do anymore. I don't know if I should ask for tests of hypothyroidism or hyper. Can I ask for both? What are the tests? Thank you for your help!
Should I go back on my cytomel and synthroid?