Thyroid Disorders Community
TSH 0.82, fT4 0.55?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

TSH 0.82, fT4 0.55?

My TSH runs low-below normal....   but so does my fT4...?  could this be a pituitary problem.  My symptoms are more hypo than hyperthyroid.  Fatigue no matter how much sleep I get, terrible cold intolerance, and depression are the most troublesome.  (On Prozac for the depression).  Within the last year my eyesight is also worsening.  I'm 26, and the last time I got my vision tested I was 20/40...  I've noticed I cant see as well as before, but dont go to the opth. until next mo.  I've been on Prozac for 2 years, could the sleepiness and eye problems be from that, or should I be talking to my doc about scanning for a pit. tumor???  Any thoughts or suggestions would be wonderful!!!  Thank you!!!
-Amy
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
bumping.  :)  anyone?
Blank
Sounds like you need to have a good discussion with your doctor about your low FT4 and your hypo symptoms and the need for medication.  In addition, I would request that free T3 be included in all future testing.  Free t3 is the most active thyroid hormone, that largely regulates metabolism and other body functions.   It is four times as potent as free T4 and correlates best with hypo symptoms.  TSH has a very poor correlation to symptoms, so it makes no sense to medicate (or not) on the basis of TSH.  

The best approach would be for your doctor to treat your symptoms by testing and adjusting your free T3 and free T4 levels as required to alleviate those symptoms.  A low TSH in your case does not mean the doctor should be concerned about hyperthyroidism, because you have no hyper symptoms, just the opposite.  
I do think the doctor should be looking for any pituitary related issues that might account for your low TSH, even though you also have low FT4.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Thyroid Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank