Thyroid Disorders Community
TSH 3rd Generation Blood test results

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

TSH 3rd Generation Blood test results

Hi I have been going to 3 different doctors for 6 weeks trying to figure out what is the matter with me and finally I was given a TSH 3rd Generation Blood test now I am going to yet another doctor next week in the mean time no one will tell me what is the matter with me...Please help me I am losing sleep and my anxiety level is through the roof.... Here are my results TSH 3rd Generation 5.01 T4,.......Free 1.0.......T3,Total 219.....Please help me I am really going crazy and I just need to know what is the matter....

DMKurst
Tags: results
I would say that you have moved into hypothyroidism. I would look into antibodies as well: Thyroglobulin Antibodiy and Thyroid Peroxidase antibodies. Many hypothyroid patients have Hashimotos (auto-immune) Hypothroidism.

Read up and question your doctor about just this. Don't let him/her off the hook until he/she has answered you.
I agree with the above.

My TSH was just a 6, but I had severe insomnia and anxiety.

The PCP wouldn't treat until TSH was over 10. But he had no problem rx'ing Xanax and Lexapro and Trazadone!!

I finally got to an endocrinologist who treated me.

Good luck and don't give up.
It sounds like you may be a little hypothyroid, but more tests need to be run. You should also ask to have tests run on your adrenal glands, and thyroid antibody tests.

Your TSH should be somewhere between 0.8 and 2.0, but some doctors will treat a TSH of 5.01, and some will not. It is considered sub-clinical, which means yes, you're sick, but no, you're not sick enough.

Your Free T4 should be in the upper third of the lab range. Is your lab range 0.58-1.64? If so, 1.0 is a little low. 1.3 or 1.4 would be better.

Adrenal tests would be a very good idea. Adrenal fatigue should be ruled out before you start trying to adjust your thyroid hormones.
Hi girls!

I type slow. :-)
Hey there fella! ;-D It's okay...you may type slow but I think slow. ;-D

Kitty,

"The PCP wouldn't treat until TSH was over 10. But he had no problem rx'ing Xanax and Lexapro and Trazadone!!"

That's a heap o'...I'll leave the rest up to your imagination. lol  
Hi! I am new to this community. I have suffered for hypothyroid for 13 years. My doctor just ran a 3rd gen TSH test and my results are 0.06. I haven't had a chance to talk to my doctor about the results yet. What does the 3rd gen test measure?

We are trying to figure out why I stopped having my period (tubes tied, not pregnant). My TSH was 0.2 in Feb. He has run so many different test my head is spinning. My FSH is 3.3, Free T4 1.2.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome!

If you re-post this as a new post, you will probably get a better response.

The 3rd gen test is the TSH. Yours is too low, suggesting you are on too high a dose of meds.
Hello, I just found this website.  I am a 42 year old male and my doctor just ran a 3rd gen TSH test and my results are 0.735. I had my doctor check my TSH because I am often tired and have low energy.. The range is .45 to 4.5.  Is it too low and What does the 3rd gen test measure?

Hi, I'm new to this forum...

I was having some anxiety and breathing issues so a few weeks ago my doctor did some blood work. One of the tests he ran was a TSH, 3rd Gen test and it came back as .13, my T3 Total is 138 and my T4 Free is 1.4. He said my thyroid was overacting and sent me for a thyroid scan. This turned out strange...after taking the controlled amount of radioactive iodine and waiting the appropriate time, when I went for the measuring test my thyroid was empty (no iodine), however, no nodules or growths were found. I just had another blood test done and the results are the same, high levels of hormone in the blood. He calls it thyroiditis and wants me to have another blood test in a month. Apparently it can go from hyper to hypo without notice and this concerns me.

Does anyone know what causes this or why it happens?

Thanks for the help!
Ouch, ouch, ouch.

A little compassion, please.  I certainly hope you're on meds with your numbers.  Hypothyroidism has many symptoms, some of which are "silent", but equally (or more) destructive to your body.  I'm not an advocate of pills, either, when avoidable, but if you haven't already, you WILL reach a point where you will cease to function without meds.

Bet she's glad, too.
My 28 year old daughter just recieved the results back from her TSH 3RD generation blood test, her #'s are 103.648 Dr. said very underactive thyroid. She is a full time collage student and has a job five days a week babysitting.  Her symptoms were always tired and very very thinning hair.  Dr. put her on 75 MCG Levothyroxine and will re-test her in 6 weeks.  She only weighs 102 pounds. I don't know, it just seems like maybe other factors could be involved with such extreme numbers, is this enough or should there be more testing done???  Thanks
Free T3 and free T4 should be tested every time your daughter has labwork.  These are the actual thyroid hormones (TSH is a pituitary hormone) and give a much more accurate profile of thyroid status than TSH alone.  

In addition, she should be tested for thyroid antibodies to see if she has Hashimoto's thyroiditis, an autoimmune disease that is the most prevalent cause of hypo in the developed world.  The two antibodies to test for are thyroid peroxidase antibody (TPOab, sometimes called microsomal) and thyroglobulin antibodies (TGab).  

If you have more questions, you might try posting a new question.  Sometimes an old thread like this one gets ignored.  Also, if you post a new one, you can get your main concerns in the title line, which will attract people familiar with the subject.

Good luck to you and your daughter.
can someone decode this for me.. I am 24 yr old female.

Test Name                 Result          Abnormal Reference Range

------------------------- --------------- -------- ---------------

TSH, 3RD GENERATION        or = 20 Years  0.40-4.50

Pregnancy Ranges

First trimester    0.20-4.70

Second trimester   0.30-4.10

Third trimester    0.40-2.70

My main concern is...am i Pregnant??????

Pregnancy Ranges

First trimester    0.20-4.70

Second trimester   0.30-4.10

Third trimester    0.40-2.70
Please retype your TSH result.  This site does not handle the greater-than or less-than sign well, so type out the words, rather than the sign.

I don't know whether you're pregnant or not, but TSH has nothing to do with pregnancy.  The reference, or "normal", ranges for TSH vary during pregnancy.  Some labs report pregnancy ranges so that all information is available.
hi i am 29 yr old female my TSH results are 89.74 miu/ml and the total
T4 is 3.69 microgm/dl and the T3 is 99.40 ng/dl can you pls advice me what should i do?
Your TSH is very hypo.  Unfortunately, total T3 and total T4 are considered obsolete tests and of limited usefulness.  If I were you, I'd have FREE T3 and FREE T4 tested as soon as possible.  These tests show the levels of the actual thyroid hormones available to your cells.  You must feel awful, and you need to be on medication as soon as possible.
Just wondering if anyone can tell me what these results mean?

TSH 3rd Gen 0.34
T4 Free 0.77
TSH 3rd Gen 0.39

Any thought would be helpful
Hard to determine a lot from the limited data.  Did you mean to list TSH twice?   It would be helpful if you would also list the reference ranges for those tests, as shown on the lab report..  

If I absolutely had to guess what it all means, I'd drag out my crystal ball and say that the FT4 result is probably indicative of hypo symptoms.  It could be confirmed by a test for FT3, which I expect would fall in the lower end of the range consistent with the FT4 result.  On the other hand, having a TSH in the low end of the range is frequently associated with being hyper.  But, concurrently having a FT4 in the low end of the range, the low TSH is more likely indicative of low pituitary function contributing to low thyroid gland output of thyroid hormones.    

So how about helping out here by also giving us info on the reference ranges and also  any symptoms that you are having.

ok sorry I didn't mean to list it twice, One was from a test a year ago. I'm 37 and have  leg pain, big goiter in my neck, my hands are really dry and the skin actually pills off them sometimes. I have ADHD and have been taking Adderall (adderrall) for the last 10 years but have stopped it for the past week. My heart was racing a lot. I take Enguvia which is an estrogen, I had a full hysterectomy in 2006. Lot's of muscle pain and I guess I should mention my family thinks I'm crazy, from all my melt downs and morning fits of anger. I thought my hysterectomy would fix the mood issues but it didn't. Thanks for any help!

Component Your Value Standard Range      Units
TSH 3rd Gen 0.39        0.34 - 5.60         mIU/mL

T4 Free           0.77          0.61 - 1.12                ng/dL

I am 5 months pregnant and did not know that i had hypothyrodism till yesterday.
My test results are
TSH 3rd Generation - ‎13.01 mIu/ml
FREE   T4 : 0.876 ng/dl.

I am really worried about my baby's health.Pleaseadvice.

--
Mini
m 20 yrs old, female, ma TSH is 1.57, is it normal?