Thyroid Disorders Community
TSH 3rd Generation is 0.19 - is this normal?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I was rushed to the Emergency Room last week when I had hard time breathing and my heart was beating really fast.  My hands and arms were getting cold, and I was getting the chills.  I thought I was having a heart attack. The ER doctor said I know having a panic attack.  The next day I got the blood test done, and TSH, 3rd Generation is 0.19.  Looking at the report (I got a copy of the report), it is on the Out of Range column.  But my doctor says everything is normal.  

I had Thyroidism about a two years ago and  the doctor said it was infected from the chest cold I sufferred.  After a month or so I got the blood test again, and it came back normal so he said I didn't need to take any medicine.  

Is 0.19 normal?  Should I go see some other doctor?  Ever since the initial panic attack, I have had cold hands and hard time breathing.  

Your reply is appreciated.
Sincerely,
kdanna
Yes, go see your doctor.  0.19 is too low for your TSH and indicates that you might be suffering from hyperthyroidism.  

What other tests were run?  You need to have a Free T4 and Free T3 at the very minimum.  Antibody testing would be good also......  If these tests were done at the ER, please post the results, along with the lab's reference ranges.

If the tests were NOT done, don't delay seeing your doctor.  Hyperthyroidism can be dangerous.  

What kind of "thyroidism" did you have before?  Was it hypER or hypO?  Do you have a copy of that lab report from 2 yrs ago?  Just because you fell within the lab's "normal" range doesn't mean that's normal for YOU.......AND some labs are still using outdated reference ranges for TSH -- the accepted range now is 0.3 - 3.0.
At the ER, they just ruled out that I was having a panic attack.  They did an EKG and a chest x-ray, which the ER doctor said were normal.   He gave me Xanax and a shot of Valium.  After my heart rate went down, he said I was good to go.  I got 25 pills of Xanax prescribed and so far I took two.  The side effects scared me so I stopped taking it.  Also, I have been taking it easy doing pretty much nothing since I thought it was panic attack.  

I haven not had any Antibody tests or Free T3 tests done before.  The blood test result has a line with "T4, FREE" so I have that test done.  

I had hyPER before according to the doctor.  I do not have a copy of that blood test results.  I will try to get it from the doctor's office if I can.  Also, I had the Nuclear test done at that time.  I had to swallow an Iodide pill (I think it was) then went back to the lab the next day and they did some sort of x-ray of my neck.  But everything came out fuzzy so the doctor who did the x-ray said I have funny thyroid and he didn't see anything wrong.  I found out later that they "messed up" the test.  I couldn't believe it.  Then I got another blood test about two months after that which my doctor said was back to normal.  So I was never on any thyroid medication.

Here is the current blood test result:
TSH, 3rd Generation   0.19     Reference Range: 0.40-4.50
T4, FREE                  1.5       Reference Range: 0.8-1.8

Thank you for your information and help with this.  
Your Free T4 looks good, but your TSH still indicates hyperthyroidism.  You need a Free T3 to see what is really going on and certainly antibody testing to rule out/confirm Hashimoto's/Graves Disease.  

I'd suggest talking to your doctor asap and since most doctors don't like to run Free T3, you might have to argue a bit to get that done, but that's really the most important and Free T3 is what's really available for the body to us.  With your Free T4 in the upper part of it's range and your low TSH, your Free T3 could also be elevated.